Diary - I've been staying up late recently.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I've been staying up late recently. I need to stop it because it really makes me feel unfocused in the morning. I've found that even if I've got the same sleeping hours, staying up late makes my spirit bad. I'm wondering if it's related to the sunlight. When I was in another country with a different time zone, my body would adjust to a new sleeping time in a few days. However, my body doesn't adjust to a new sleeping time at which I'm living right now. It's strange!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been staying up late recently. I need to stop doing it that because it really makes me feel unfocused it really hard to focus in the next morning.

I've found that even if I've got the same sleeping I sleep for my usual number of hours, staying up late makes my spirit bad.
The underlined part is very unnatural. Do you mean something like "it puts me in a bad mood"?
I'm wondering if it's related to the sunlight.
I might use "daylight" there instead.
When I was in another country with a different time zone, my body would adjust to a new sleeping time pattern in just a few days.

However, my body doesn't adjust hasn't yet adjusted to a new sleeping time pattern at which where I'm living right now. It's strange!
What's the time difference between where you're living now and where you were before, and how long have you been in the new time zone?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I could be wrong, but I don't think Maybo has moved. She's just been staying up late.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The underlined part is very unnatural. Do you mean something like "it puts me in a bad mood"?
I feel tired and it’s hard to focus.
What's the time difference between where you're living now and where you were before, and how long have you been in the new time zone?
For example, I travel to other countries. It is daytime there and nighttime in Hong Kong.
My body can adjust to the new sleeping pattern in a few days. However, it’s impossible for me to sleep in the morning in Hong Kong.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I feel tired and it’s hard to focus.

For example, I travel to other countries. It is daytime there and nighttime in Hong Kong.
My body can adjust to the new sleeping pattern in a few days. However, it’s impossible for me to sleep in the morning in Hong Kong.

You feel uneasy?

My biorhythm/sleeping pattern is upset. I am unable to adjust to the changed sleeping pattern.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You feel uneasy?

My biorhythm/sleeping pattern is upset. I am unable to adjust to the changed sleeping pattern.
You too? Both you and Maybo need to go to bed earlier. 😀

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your body doesn't do anything you don't do,
Because your body isn't separate from you.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Does “uneasy” mean “nervous”?
I don’t feel nervous.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does “uneasy” mean “nervous”?
I don’t feel nervous.
When you are uneasy about something or somebody you feel uncomfortable emotionally. For example, my friends once tried to get me to go into a haunted house, but idea of doing that made me feel uneasy, so I didn't do that. (I made that up.)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When you are uneasy about something or somebody you feel uncomfortable emotionally. For example, my friends once tried to get me to go into a haunted house, but idea of doing that made me feel uneasy, so I didn't do that. (I made that up.)
I'm not sure if it's uncomfortable. I feel tired, hard to focus and my head is heavy. Also, I'm slow to process things. It's just kind of like lacking of sleep.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure if it's uncomfortable. I feel tired, hard to focus and my head is heavy. Also, I'm slow to process things. It's just FROM LACK OF of sleep.
Are you a coffee drinker? If I haven't gotten enough sleep the night before I make my coffee stronger.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure if it's uncomfortable. I feel tired, hard to focus and my head is heavy. Also, I'm slow to process things. It's just kind of like lacking of sleep.
I'd probably say you feel tired and lethargic, mentally and physically.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are you a coffee drinker? If I haven't gotten enough sleep the night before I make my coffee stronger.
No, if I drink coffee, my heart races. I sleep for usual number of hours so I don’t lack sleeping.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, if I drink coffee, my heart races. I sleep for usual number of hours so I don’t lack sleeping.
I think you mean that if you sleep as long as you usually do you don't have that problem.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I think you mean that if you sleep as long as you usually do you don't have that problem.
No. I have. :ROFLMAO: If I sleep at 2am for 8 hours, I feel tired the next day. However, if I sleep at 11pm for 8 hours, I feel energetic.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. I DO. :ROFLMAO: If I GO TO sleep at 2am AND SLEEP FOR EIGHT hours, I feel tired the next day. However, if I GO TO sleep at 11pm for AND SLEEP FOR EIGHT hours, I feel energetic.
It's the time you go to bed and not how much sleep you get. Interesting problem. 🙂

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You might want to read up on "circadian rhythms". You could start HERE.