Diary - Last night a super typhoon passed Hong Kong.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night a super typhoon passed Hong Kong. It was horrible that the wind and rain struck the windows hard. At the worse time, some rain water came through the windows. Fortunately, that only lasted for two hours and I could sleep afterwards. However, there will be another typhoon coming next week.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night a super typhoon passed (swept through) Hong Kong. It was horrible that the wind and rain struck the windows hard. At the worse time, Some rain water even came through the windows. Fortunately, that only lasted for two hours and I could sleep afterwards. However, there will be another typhoon coming next week according to forecasts.
I was in Hong Kong at the end of July after the last typhoon (Talim) struck a week earlier bringing the city to a standstill. The forecast was for the typhoon to come back the following week when I was there but fortunately, it didn't.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo There are two ways to say that.

1. Another typhoon is coming next week.
2. There will be another typhoon next week.

Notice what is missing.

You're getting better. That one was almost perfect.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Last night a super typhoon passed through/across Hong Kong. It was horrible that when the wind and rain struck lashed the windows. hard. At the worse time, At its worst, some rain water even came through the my/our windows. Fortunately, that it only lasted for two hours and I could was able to sleep afterwards. However Unfortunately, there will be another typhoon coming next week.
I've left "it only lasted for two hours" because that's what lots of native speakers say. A purist, and possibly an examiner, would tell you that it should be "it lasted for only two hours".

Last edited: