Diary - Last night, I watched a show about hoarders.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night, I watched a show about hoarders. The protagonist was reluctant to throw away her stuff at first but she needed to provide a better environment for her sick husband so she finally made it. I find myself is a paper hoarder. Even if a piece of paper is full of words and images, I still can find some space to write something. After the piece of paper is completely full, I would use it to pack the dirt. However, I have too much paper and sometimes there are bugs so I have to throw it away.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
so she finally made did it. I find would describe myself is as a paper hoarder. Even if a piece of paper is full of words and images, I still can find some space to write something on it. After the piece of paper is completely full, I would use it to pack the dirt. However, I have too much paper and sometimes there are that attracts bugs so I have to throw it away.
I don't understand what the underlined part means.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't understand what the underlined part means.
Dirty things on the floor such as mud, dust or rubbish. I would use paper to wrap them up and throw them away.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, say something like "Once there's no more space to write, I use the pieces of paper to wrap rubbish before putting it in the bin". It's a strange concept to me. I would sweep dust or rubbish up with a broom and then a dustpan and brush and then just deposit it straight in the bin (which would have a bin bag in, of course). As a rule, I wouldn't expect to find mud in my house.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo A hoarder can't bring himself/herself to throw anything away. That's not you. You are, perhaps, excessively frugal, but that's different.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo A hoarder can't bring himself/herself to throw anything away. That's not you. You are, perhaps, excessively frugal, but that's different.
Only for paper. :ROFLMAO:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The protagonist was reluctant to throw away her stuff at first but she needed to provide a better environment for her sick husband so she finally made it.
The practice of reusing stuff may be environment-friendly but how does that provide a "better environment" for the sick husband? Surely, the result from the action is not immediate.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The practice of reusing stuff may be environment-friendly but how does that provide a "better environment" for the sick husband? Surely, the result from the action is not immediate.
She threw away things to make their room cleaner to provide a better environment for the sick husband.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I see - that's decluttering, which is not really related to environmental-friendly practices.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member