Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mum used to joke that I wasn't her child and I was picked up from the dumping ground or on the street. Sometimes, she even told me that maybe I was mixed up with the other babies born in the same hospital, and her real child might be suffering. At first, I would try to convince her by pointing out the similar facial features we shared. However, later on, I found out that she just liked to make fun of me, and that was her family tradition. She said when my uncle was a child, they did the same thing to him. My uncle was shocked and then he started to pack his little bag and got ready to leave this home.

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
My uncle was shocked and then he started to pack his little bag and got ready to leave this home.
And then? I mean, it seems a bit wired to me that this article stops abruptly here.
I'd would expect something like "... and then he started to pack his little bag and got ready to leave this home. At the time, people tried to calm him down, saying that it was a joke. So I wonder what my mum would have done if I had done the same as my uncle."

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
And then? I mean, it seems a bit wired to me that this article stops abruptly here.
I'd would expect something like "... and then he started to pack his little bag and got ready to leave this home. At the time, people tried to calm him down, saying that it was a joke. I wonder what my mum would have done if I had done the same as my uncle."
My mum didn't tell me what happened next. However, my uncle's still at this home so I guess they has told him the truth.😂

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mum used to joke that I wasn't her child and I was picked up from the dumping ground or on the street. Sometimes, she even told me that maybe I was mixed up with the other babies born in the same hospital, and her real child might be suffering. At first, I would try to convince her THAT I REALLY WAS HER CHILD by pointing out the similar facial features we shared. However, later on, I found out that she just liked to make fun of me, and that IT'S A family tradition. She said THAT when my uncle was a child, they did the same thing to him. My uncle was UPSET and then he started to pack his little bag and got ready to leave this home.
Put a period (full stop) after "leave," and end your sentence there. Then say something like, "But they assured him that they were only teasing him, and they got him to stay."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My mum didn't tell me what happened next. However, my uncle's still HERE,so I guess they has told him the truth.😂
Delete "has" there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My mum used to joke that I wasn't really her child and that I was picked up from the dumping ground or found on the street. Sometimes, she even told me that maybe I was mixed up with the other babies another baby born in the same hospital, and that her real biological child might be suffering. At first, I would try to convince her that she was wrong by pointing out the similar facial features we shared. However, later on, I found out that she just liked to make fun of me, and that it was her a family tradition. She said that when my uncle was a child, they his parents did the same thing to him. My uncle was shocked, and then he started to pack his little bag and got ready to leave this home.