Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This behaviour must stop--do I make myself clear?

This is a sample sentence form Oxford Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary.

I understand that “do I make myself clear” means “do I express myself clearly so there is no doubt about what I mean” or “do you understand what I mean” in this context.

What I don’t quite understand is why the simple present tense is used not the present perfect like this.
“--have I made myself clear?”

I mean “do I make myself clear” can be taken to mean a habitual action. For example,

--Do you think Tom will be a good teacher?
--I don’t think so. He seldom makes himself clear.

How can I understand the use of “do I make myself clear” in the sample sentence? Just look it as a habitual usage or something?

Would you please enlighten me?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I understand that “do I make myself clear” means “do I express myself clearly so there is no doubt about what I mean”

No, it doesn't quite mean that. This isn't about intelligibility.

or “do you understand what I mean” in this context.

No, it definitely doesn't mean that. This isn't about comprehension.

How can I understand the use of “do I make myself clear” in the sample sentence? Just look it as a habitual usage or something?

Would you please enlighten me?

No, it has nothing to do with habitual use.

The question is just a way for the speaker to elicit consent to the prohibition of whatever behaviour is being referred to. That is, the speaker is requesting that the listener agree to the prohibition. Look at this utterance and its response as speech acts forming a transaction of prohibition.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks, Jutfrank.

But the dictionary says “make myself clear” means “express myself clearly so there is no doubt about what I mean” in the sample sentence.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I told you in post #2 what it means. Did you understand what I said in my post?

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, Jutfrank.

I really appreciate the help you’ve given me for such a long time, which has benefited me so much.

I didn’t mean to be rude. I just wanted to understand that usage clearly and know how to answer my students’ questions about it correctly and clearly.

I think it’s very natural for anyone who has learned about the usage of the present simple and the present perfect to ask why “do I make myself clear” is used not “have I made myself clear” in that context.

For one language usage, different people have different explanations. I will read your explanation again and try to understand it.

Thank you again for your help.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it’s very natural for anyone who has learned about the usage of the present simple and the present perfect to ask why “do I make myself clear” is used not “have I made myself clear” in that context.

I'm not convinced you've quite understood my answer yet. The utterance Do I make myself clear? in the dictionary example does not mean 'Have I explained clearly what I want to say?' or 'Do you understand my explanation?' It means 'Do you understand and consent to my prohibiting of your behaviour?' It isn't really a question in the sense that the speaker wants to know something new—it's an elicitation for the listener to respond affirmatively. It's very common for illocutory speech acts such as this to be aspectless (that means in the simple aspect).

You can use the present perfect version (Have I made myself clear?) to mean 'Have I explained clearly what I want to say?', which in this sense can be used as a way for the speaker to ask the listener (i.e., used as a question) whether further explanation is required. That's a very different use from the present simple version.

Have I made myself clear?

(It's a pleasure to answer your questions, by the way. :))

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'd add to what @jutfrank explained that the speaker is demanding an acknowledgement that his listener has heard and understood. The listener is thus forever deprived of the ability to plead ignorance.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you so much, Jutfrank and Probus for your patience and kindness.

I think I’ve got what you’ve explained.

I’d like to ask two more questions.

1. Can we say “are you clear” or “do you understand” instead of “do I make myself clear” in the sample sentence?

2. Can we also use "Do I make myself clear?" instead of "Have I made myself clear?", which Jutfrank asked in #6?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1. Some speakers of AmE do switch it around like that by asking "Are you clear?" instead of "Is that clear?" Personally I dislike and avoid it, but you may run across it.

2. Yes

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Are you clear about that?" is possible. "Do you understand?" certainly is.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Angry drill sergeant Dornan in Fallout 2 uses "Do you understand (me)?" and "Have I made myself clear?"

Something tells me he's not genuinely concerned if his message is conveyed clearly to the private. It's more about asserting his authority over you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Something tells me he's not genuinely concerned if his message is conveyed clearly to the private. It's more about asserting his authority over you.

But authority only works by submission. If the message is not understood, or not not consented to, the speech act fails.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
But authority only works by submission. If the message is not understood, or not not consented to, the speech act fails.
Yes, it's all about submission. You aren't supposed to go "Hmmm, I don't know if I agree with you. Could you please use a more compelling reason to convince me?" when someone throws a "Do I make myself clear?" at you. You're supposed to reply with nothing but blind obedience, and say "Yes!"

I think a big component here is who gets to say what to who, establishing your place in the pecking order. You're never supposed to use this kind of talk to someone above you, kind of like how it is with using insults or shouting. That's why I think this phrase's main purpose is to assert authority.

It's, in a sense, similar to "Did I stutter?" used after you've asked someone giving you orders if they're sure about that. It's meant to show you that you have no say in the matter and have to do exactly as you're told.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's why I think this phrase's main purpose is to assert authority.

Yes, that's exactly right. The utterance is a speech act. You can think of it, along with the response ('yes'), as a social transaction, establishing authoritative control from speaker to listener, authority to subordinate.

It's, in a sense, similar to "Did I stutter?" used after you've asked someone giving you orders if they're sure about that. It's meant to show you that you have no say in the matter and have to do exactly as you're told.

Yes. In that sense, the utterance Did I stutter? is not a question, pragmatically speaking, but a second attempt at the order.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Hi, Glizdka.

I don't quite understand this sentence. Would you please say a few more words about it?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Stuttering is a form of speech impediment. It m-makes it d-diff-ffi-fficult to under-under-understand you.

Imagine someone told you something, but they stuttered, so you didn't understand them, or aren't sure if you understood them, so you ask for clarification or confirmation if the thing you think they said is the thing they meant to say.

Now, imagine someone telling you to do something you have doubts about. Maybe your apodictic boss orders you to send a tactless message to your customers that, in your opinion, will be detrimental to your relationship with them, and, personally, you would not do that. You ask them if they're sure about that, or maybe even dare to straight-up point out that it's not a good idea. Your boss is not having any of it. In their mind, you're showing insubordination by not directly obeying their order. They just go "Did I stutter?" even though you've used reasonable arguments to support your opinion.

The idea here is that the person does not want to repeat themselves and effectively end your trying to change their mind or question what they said.

"Did I stutter?"
"No"
"Then what the *beep* did you not understand the first time I said it?"

It's quite a powerful expression.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the same vein, we also use "Am I speaking a foreign language?"

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In the same vein, we also use "Am I speaking a foreign language?"
In Polish, "Am I speaking Chinese" (specifically) was very common when I was in primary school. Our teachers threw that at us a lot when we were being disobedient little brats. Now, it's not used as much because a lot of Poles are learning Chinese these days.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you so much, Glizdka for your detailed explanation. I’ve got it completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.