Does "had gone into" here mean discussing in detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"I had gone into this whole console season planning to skip both next-gen consoles during the initial rush, since there’s not much in the way of exclusive games and I wasn’t willing to stay up until 3AM to try my hand refreshing Best Buy in hopes of snagging a day-one console."

Source: Its a video game critic's review on PS5 and new XBOX.

What does he mean by "I had gone into this whole console season planning to skip both next-gen consoles during the initial rush" ?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He had no intention of buying either a PS5 or an X Box Series X on release because there are not going to be many good games to play for a while. He decided it was best to wait at least a few months, for some more good games to come out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, "had gone into" here means "had entered". The writer is expressing what their intention was at the start of the season of new console releases.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I cant understand, i think the noun phrase, “whole console season planning”.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I cant understand, i think the noun phrase, “whole console season planning”.

I think you're breaking it up wrong.

I had gone into this whole console season planning to skip both next-gen consoles ...

Does that help? If not, it might help if I use a simpler example, like the following (I've used the same colours so you can see how the parts match up):

I went into the kitchen planning to make a cup of tea but then I remembered we had run out of teabags. (When I entered the kitchen, my plan was to make tea, but I then remembered we had no teabags so my plan was ruined!)

Status
Not open for further replies.