Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
. . . calm . . . heart . . . heart . . . half . . . [audio source]
The first [ɑ] sound in calm seems to be made at noticeably nearer the middle [IPA] than the others. Am I
hearing right? If yes, is it because of [m] sound that is made in front?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
f yes, is it because of [m] sound that is made in front?
No. Speakers of four very different dialects were saying those words. If you want to discuss the pronunciation of the vowels in 'half', 'heart' and 'calm', you need to have recordings of one person saying all three words. I have the same sound in the onset of the vowel in all three word, but the vowel of 'heart' begins to differ from that of 'calm' and 'half' as I approach the following approximant. The final consonant makes no difference to the vowel.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
It is often said that low vowels are produced with open jaw. One can produce low vowels with close jaw. The trick is to cup the tongue. In other words, one can produce vowels just with tongue action alone: cupping, arching, bunching, etc. Different languages use different settings for sake of articulatory ease. Just because one particular setting is easy for speakers of a particular dialect; it does not mean that such a setting is easy for everyone else. This has to do with how neuromuscular system is trained by their first language/dialect, thereby becoming 'natural'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, I am not an expert on phonetics, and have never claimed to be. And, I do not see the relevance of your post to the original question, which is why I asked about it. So, could you please explain for the non-experts how that answers eijpoo's question?

Status
Not open for further replies.