Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everyone!

As far as railway station announcements are concerned, I would like to ask you a question.

Would it be possible for an Englishman to say something like that "The train to Cambridge is due to arrive on track 1"?

What do you think?
Thank you.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'On' is the correct preposition for 'track', but as Piscean said, we don't usually refer to the track, but rather the station/platform/gate the train is arriving at.

Perhaps the conductor, maintenance crews, or other people concerned with the facilities and actual running of the trains might discuss the tracks, but not the general public riding them. I think trains and subways have something similar to air traffic controllers, so you might hear such a sentence from them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Chicago it's the track number. "The 'Pacific Coast Special' is departing on 'Track 29'."

I'm not entirely surprised by the use of "track" in AmE in that sentence but I am surprised by the preposition. In BrE, trains depart "from" a specific platform. Don't they depart "from Track 29" in AmE.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm not entirely surprised by the use of "track" in AmE in that sentence but I am surprised by the preposition. In BrE, trains depart "from" a specific platform. Don't they depart "from Track 29" in AmE.

I can confirm that "departing on track 29" is normal parlance in North American train stations.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can confirm that "departing on track 29" is normal parlance in North American train stations.

P.S. I was thinking about this later - emsr2d2. We don't "depart from Track 29". We depart "from the station on Track 29". The train travels on Track 29 until it merges with the main line.

Status
Not open for further replies.