Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My cousin's son was in the car and his father (my cousin) was driving. This little boy kept asking his father questions and sometimes even stood up and extended his hand to his father.

I said to my cousin's son "Don't disturb your dad driving; sit still and don't move".

What's the natural expression here?

Don’t distract your dad when he’s driving. Sit still and behave yourself.

(Don’t children have to be strapped into child seats in China?)

(Don’t children have to be strapped into child seats in China?)
They have to be strapped into the seats and bucklked up. But the belts were loose on my cousin's car. I suppose they are for adults only.

They have to be strapped into the seats and bucklked buckled up no full stop here but the belts were loose on my cousin's car. I suppose they are for adults only.
In the UK, children have to be strapped in using specific child seats. Children under 12 or under 135cm tall must use a dedicated child seat with its own buckles and straps. Once they reach the age of 12 or 135cm (whichever comes first), they can sit in the normal car seat and use an adult seatbelt.

According to this article, a law was passed in 2021 dictating that children in China have to be strapped into dedicated car seats. Your cousin appears to be breaking the law by not having his son properly restrained.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back