Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Double negative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was once a language professor lecturing his students and he pointed out that English has the double negative, which means a positive.

"The world is supposed to end? Nah, I doubt it," one person said. "We ain't worried. Nah, the Bible don't say nothing about what time or what date. Whoever came up with that, I have no idea."

Is "don't say nothing" double negative?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is "don't say nothing" double negative?
Yes, but the sort that is generally regarded as sub-standard. In this situation, it reinforces the negation rather than cancel it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it is. The problem with the double negative is that in standard English two negatives make a positive. Like multiplying two negative numbers yields a positive number.

But the double negative is often used to intensify the negative. This is sometimes a deliberate choice, other times it is simply a person's natural English.

In this case, the author means that the Bible does not contain a "time and date" for the end of the world. He used the double negative in a non-standard way.

This is not uncommon.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
While I leave the usage of double negative to teachers to answer, I just want to say my experience with double negative used by native speakers.

Sometimes ago, I thought using double negative is a style of writing. I see a lot native speakers using it. Then I realized that, it is not style but error which even native speakers would commit. You can see it more common in movies. See this thread.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We can say they are "errors" or are "non-standard," but it is not like users of the double negative are usually misunderstood.

It is part of the evolution of language. I wouldn't use it in formal or business writing, but in casual conversation it is not uncommon for many native speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.