Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

Speaking in a metaphorical way we can use the expression "double-edged sword" to mean that whatever we are mentioning has a double effect. What about if we use "double-bladed weapon" or "double blade weapon", would a native English speaker understand these two latter terms as if they were synonymous with the first expression?

Thanks for your help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I might be able to work out that was what you meant but I would think that you had got a well-known phrase wrong and I would be likely to correct you.

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I might be able to work out that was what you meant but I would think that you had got a well-known phrase wrong and I would be likely to correct you.

Hello,

No, I have no sentence to correct.

I just want to know if the terms I have written - "double-bladed weapon" / "double blade weapon" would be synonymous with "double-edged sword".

But if you need a sentence, I can write one. Let's see:

His great intelligence was a real double-edged sword because he never felt he could communicate with ordinary people.

Although I don't want you to comment on this sentence or if we could use in this precise context the two options I have written above . I just want to know if, in general, those three expressions are interchangeable.

Thanks a lot.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

No, I have no sentence to correct.

I just want to know if the terms I have written - "double-bladed weapon" / "double blade weapon" would be synonymous with "double-edged sword".

But if you need a sentence, I can write one. Let's see:

His great intelligence was a real double-edged sword because he never felt he could communicate with ordinary people.

Although I don't want you to comment on this sentence or if we could use in this precise context the two options I have written above . I just want to know if, in general, those three expressions are interchangeable.

Thanks a lot.

I agree with emsr. I probably would understand what you meant (in context), but I would also think that you got the expression wrong.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't consider those three terms to be interchangeable, no. One of them is a fixed recognised expression which, if it is to be used, must use the exact words of the well-known expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.