Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. Would you please explain what 'yobbo' means in the context below?
Thank you.

From Le Road Trip by Vivian Swift------------------
Sometimes it feels as if everybody has already been everywhere.
Average Americans take family vacations in Bali.
English yobbos flock to Sri Lanka for their holidays.
The Chinese Communists take shopping trips to Paris,
teenagers sail solo around the world, and twelve-year olds are racing each other to be the youngest person to summit Mount Everest.

Yob is "boy" spelled backwards. A yobbo is an English young man, often with a fondness for drinking and brawling.

A yobbo is an English young man, often with a fondness for drinking and brawling.
'Yobbo' is a chiefly British slang word, but such people can be of any nationality.

I can say with complete certainty that the average American family does not vacation in Bali. Do many English "yabbos" really go to Sri Lanka? If this is the way the book starts, I wouldn't trust much that follows.

I can say with complete certainty that the average American family does not vacation in Bali. Do many English "yobbos" really go to Sri Lanka? If this is the way the book starts, I wouldn't trust much that follows.

No, they don't. The usual destinations for groups of young, heavy-drinking British lads are Dublin, southern Spain, Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest and Bratislava (since cheap flights became available).

Last edited:
I think the book is very tongue-in-cheek.

I can say with complete certainty that the average American family does not vacation in Bali. Do many English "yabbos" really go to Sri Lanka? If this is the way the book starts, I wouldn't trust much that follows.

I think the book is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure Swift knows there aren't a lot of English yobbos in Sri Lanka.

It's young Australian yobbos who take their holidays in Bali, though less so since the bombings last decade.

I think it's just meant to indicate that you can no longer travel anywhere without it being full of tourists. British yobs don't necessarily go to Sri Lanka in large numbers, but they do get around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back