Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello.
over
But the game was far from over and the home side were not going to go down without a fight.
oxforddictionaries

What part of speech is "over"? Is this an omiting, e.g. "far from being over", where "over" is adjective? Or this phrase is a set one and it's not clear what part of speech the 'over' is ?

Hello.
over
But the game was far from over and the home side were not going to go down without a fight.
oxforddictionaries

What part of speech is "over"? Is this an omiting, e.g. "far from being over", where "over" is adjective? Or this phrase is a set one and it's not clear what part of speech the 'over' is ?

I my opinion "far from" is an adverb and "over" is a predicate adjective.

I my opinion "far from" is an adverb and "over" is a predicate adjective.
I didn't expect such an answer...
Why do you think so, could you explain?
I think 'far' is an adjective here:
far from
in a degree, state, etc, remote from: he is far from happy.
adj (prenominal)
(thefreedictionary)

Predicate adjectives follow such verbs like to be, become, smell, taste, etc...
I would say 'over' here is an adverb, acting as a noun (because it's the object of the preposition "from")
Am I wrong?

Last edited:
'Over' in this sentence is, as Mike said, an adjective. Its meaning is close to that of finished, complete, past, at an end.

'Far' is also an adjective and 'from' a preposition'. Together, as in your sentence, they function as an adverb modifying the adjective 'over'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back