For a moment/for once/once I thought we could have lost the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I can't decide if I should use "for a moment" or "for once" or "once" in the sentence?

1- It was a very tough match. For a moment/for once/once I thought we could have lost the match.

2- I know he doesn't want to talk to me but I want to talk to him once/for once.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't decide if I should use "for a moment" or "for once" or "once" in the sentence?

1- It was a very tough match. For a moment/For once/Once, I thought we could have lost the match.
2- I know he doesn't want to talk to me but I want to talk to him once/for once.
In sentence 1, none of them work. Presumably you won the match. In that case, you could say something like "At one point, I thought we were going to lose".

In sentence 2, the two choices have very different meanings.

... once = You want to talk to him one time.
... for once = In the past, you have tried to talk to him but failed (you might have had to talk to someone else). This is a mark of exasperation or annoyance about something you've been trying to do, perhaps for quite some time, but have been foiled. It can also be used about something someone else does or doesn't do.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"Once" and "for once" mean different things. Have you tried looking up the meanings?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Again, this is a confusing question.

Are you trying to ask us how to use these phrases properly? Or are you asking us how to express a certain thought (or two in this particular thread) that you have in your mind in Hindi into English?

I'm trying hard to understand where your questions come from, the hammer.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Based on instinct, I think the OP means:

1. At one point I thought we were going to lose.

2. I know he doesn't want to talk to me but I want to talk to him just once (before we go our separate ways).

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Again, this is a confusing question.

Are you trying to ask us how to use these phrases properly? Or are you asking us how to express a certain thought (or two in this particular thread) that you have in your mind in Hindi into English?

I'm trying hard to understand where your questions come from, the hammer.
Thank you. I have got my answer from Barque. I meant to say what Barque wrote. Thank you all.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@Barque, your instinct is probably right but I have a feeling that's not what the OP really wants. My feeling is that they want to get a clear idea of how to use these lexical items individually.

Do you suspect it's just a simple translation question, then? There are two thoughts in Hindi and the OP wants to say them in English?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have got my answer from Barque. I meant to say what Barque wrote.

Okay, so do you mean that you had two thoughts in Hindi, and that you just wanted to know how to say these thoughts in English?

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Okay, so do you mean that you had two thoughts in Hindi, and that you just wanted to know how to say these thoughts in English?
Exactly. When I answer to someone in Hindi, I face almost no problems but when I try to write or say something in English that I first think in Hindi, many times problems arise.😀

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Do you suspect it's just a simple translation question, then? There are two thoughts in Hindi and the OP wants to say them in English?
Yes.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Exactly. When I answer to someone in english, I face almost no problems but when I try to write or say what I think in Hindi, many times problems arise.😀
The other way round, you mean.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Exactly. When I answer to someone in Hindi, I face almost no problems but when I try to write or say something in English that I first think in Hindi, many times problems arise.😀

Okay, so why did you write two sentences in your post #1? Was it because for the Hindi sentences that you had in mind, you were thinking of the same Hindi word in each sentence?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'm not the OP but I believe he might have thought the same English phrase would apply to both.

In Hindi, they'd be very different.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is not a question. How should you rephrase it to make it one?

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Okay, so why did you write two sentences in your post #1? Was it because for the Hindi sentences that you had in mind, you were thinking of the same Hindi word in each sentence?
At the time of writing the first sentence, I thought of a word in Hindi and when I was to write it in English two-three english words meaning almost the same came to mind. To know the meaning of the words I searched on the internet and I found another similar sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.