Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In an imperative sentence, should I say: "Go sleep!" or "Go to sleep!"?

Go to sleep.

In colloquial language, people sometimes drop and.

I believe that "Go do your homework", "Go pick up the ball" etc are perfectly acceptable in AmE. In BrE, we always include the "and" after "go".

"Go to sleep" does not fit the same pattern. However, you might hear "Go sleep" in AmE if it means "Leave the room and then go to your bedroom/tent/sofabed and go to sleep".

In colloquial language, people sometimes drop and.
When I want to ask sb. to go to bed, why isn't it "go (and) sleep", but "go to sleep"?

Because "Go to bed" and "Go to sleep" aren't the same thing.
The first one means "Leave this room and go to your bedroom and get into bed".
The second means "Sleep!" It can be said to someone who is already in bed. You can't say "Go to bed" to someone who is already in bed.

Because "Go to bed" and "Go to sleep" aren't the same thing.
The first one means "Leave this room and go to your bedroom and get into bed".
The second means "Sleep!" It can be said to someone who is already in bed. You can't say "Go to bed" to someone who is already in bed.
Thanks!

"go to slep" means "go to bed in order to sleep" not "go into sleep"

"Go to sleep" means "go to bed in order to sleep" not "go into sleep".

No, it doesn't.

Welcome to the forums, jimmybrion. Are you sure your native language is English? If not, please amend your profile and read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

Your appreciation is welcome, registered, but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you or to quote our replies back to us for everybody to read again. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back