Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
I'd like to ask our American friends here whether you wish one another a "Happy 4th of July". How common is this sentence/wish in the USA?
I'm only asking because I have a good friend in the States, and I don't know whether to send her an email wishing her "Happy 4th of July", or not. :-?

Thank you for your answer. :)

PS: If this is a common wish, then I wish a happy 4th of July to all our American friends on the forum. :)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your holiday greeting! Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays - an afternoon filled with cooking food outdoors on the barbecue, enjoying a cold beer (or two or three.... :drinking: ) and just generally having a very relaxing good time. When it gets dark enough outside, the fireworks begin. Every city/county/metro area usually has an "official" firewokds display, but that doesn't stop most folks from shooting off skyrockets and such from their front lawns. (Mind you, fireworks are technically illegal in many states, but that does not deter anyone. My brother is a major fireworks fan, and we've often seen a police car cruise by as he lit a Roman candle and the cops didn't do a thing about it.) I'm lucky that my in-laws live in Georgia, and when we visit them we have to drive through South Carolina which has some of the most lenient fireworks laws in the country. We always stop there to pick up an array of "explosives" to bring home to my brother, who uses them to put on a fabulous show for us every Fourth of July.

I believe I've rambled a bit....back to the original question, "Happy Fourth!" or "Happy Fourth of July!" are common greetings. When you're out shopping on July 3, buying groceries or gasoline or whatever, it is typical for merchants to say "Have a great Fourth!" as you pay for your purchase.
:usa

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
A Happy Fourth of July for all Americans!

Would you rate, in order of importance relative to the American culture, the holidays of (i) Fourth of July, (ii) Thanksgiving Day and (iii) Christmas?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

The importance of these holidays will vary from person to person. Obviously, someone who is not a Christian will attach less significance to Christmas. Still, it is the major "end-of-year" celebration and occasion for giving and receiving gifts, so even those who are not celebrating it as the birth of the Savior, generally still find something to enjoy about that time of year.

Thanksgiving is probably the main annual occasion for family/friends to gather together. It was intended as a thanksgiving to God for a successful harvest, but is a national day and not a Church/religious holiday. The nice thing about Thanksgiving is that it is always on Thursday, so it means a 4 day weekend for most people. It features fine food, family, and copious amounts of (American) football for the men and shopping (the start of the Christmas shopping) for the ladies.

The 4th of July, Independence Day, is all about Summer. While it's cooking food on the grill, and fireworks and parades it is also the defining moment of our nation. The Declaration of Independence not only declared our nation's rightful place among the other states of the world, but it laid out a philosophy of governance that is a gift for all peoples who yearn to govern themselves without being under the rule of monarchs, tyrants and dictators.

Power does not come down from rulers appointed by God, but rather the people are sovereign and appoint representatives to serve the common good.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Status
Not open for further replies.