Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
Grammar books say that Double Negatives are not grammatical in English, but what about Triple Negatives? 😃
  • He hasn't never done nothing like this.
  • I haven't seen nothing like it nowhere.

You will occasionally hear such things, but they are not acceptable in standard English.

And the meaning is the negative one. He hasn't ever done anything like this.

English isn't math. Two negatives don't cancel each other out.

Grammar books say that double negatives are not grammatical in English, but what about triple negatives?
  • He hasn't never done nothing like this.
  • I haven't seen nothing like it nowhere.
Given the poor grammar exhibited in the latter part of both sentences, I would expect a person who would utter them to open with "He/I ain't". That would fit far better.

It's not untrue that there's nothing ungrammatical about double negatives. As long as the logic is followed (- + - = +), they're fine.

And as noted above, using double negatives for a negative meaning is natural in the non-standard grammar of many dialects.

English isn't math. Two negatives don't cancel each other out.

They do, logically, but in non-standard grammar they are often meant as negatives.

It's not untrue that there's nothing ungrammatical about double negatives. As long as the logic is followed (- + - = +), they're fine.

And as noted above, using double negatives for a negative meaning is natural in the non-standard grammar of many dialects.

They do, logically, but in non-standard grammar they are often meant as negatives.
So, if double negatives are fine as long as they express a positive meaning, then triple negatives should be treated as conveying a negative meaning?

No. Not at all. Look at it as repetition for emphasis.

Back