1. He walked.
2. He singed.
3. He slept.
4. He stood.
5. He sat.
6. He lay.
7. He danced.

Are they all complete sentence?
The only two that can't stand as complete sentences, in my opinion, are "He singed" and "He lay."

"Singe" (meaning "lightly burn") is a strongly transitive verb; it wants and needs a direct object, even in the past tense ("singed"). Did you mean to write "He sang"?

"He lay" wants an adverb or adverbial of some kind, whether related to place ("He lay there," "He lay on the couch") or direction ("He lay down").

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Apart from number 6, whose verb is incorrectly being used intransitively, they all count as grammatically complete sentences.

2. He sang.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"He lay" wants an adverb or adverbial of some kind, whether related to place ("He lay there," "He lay on the couch") or direction ("He lay down").

Agreed. I hadn't seen your post when I posted mine. (I now realise I was wrong when I said the verb 'lay' in sentence 6 has to be transitive. I was thinking of the transitive verb 'lay', not the past form of 'lie'.)

(And yes, neb090 surely meant I sang, not I singed! 😆)

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The only two that can't stand as complete sentences, in my opinion, are "He singed" and "He lay."

"Singe" (meaning "lightly burn") is a strongly transitive verb; it wants and needs a direct object, even in the past tense ("singed"). Did you mean to write "He sang"?

I am sorry. My 2 is "He sang."

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Apart from number 6, whose verb is incorrectly being used intransitively, they all count as grammatically complete sentences.

2. He sang.
My 6 is "He lay (in bed)." Do I have to add "in bed" to make it a complete sentence?

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
So

1. He walked.
2. He sang.
3. He slept.
4. He stood.
5. He sat.
6. He lay (in bed).
7. He danced.

Apart from 6, are others all complete sentences?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't quite see the point. Let's look at the first one. Let's say I'm talking to my friend and I want to talk about what I've been up to. I might say, "I walked to the store and back." While "I walked" is a complete sentence, it doesn't seem to me like a complete thought. When you talk you want to say something.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My 6 is "He lay (in bed)." Do I have to add "in bed" to make it a complete sentence?

Phlebas the Phoenician and I think you have to add something like 'in bed', yes.

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Phlebas the Phoenician and I think you have to add something like 'in bed', yes.
I looked it up in the dictionary, and found that "sit", "lie(lay)", "stand" are all "incomplete intransitive verbs".

According to grammar rules, incomplete intransitive verbs need a "subjective complement."

So why can I say "He stood" and "He sat" while I can't say "He lay?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I'm saying that He stood and He sat are complete whereas He lay is incomplete. It's incomplete in that it needs a complement in order to express a complete thought.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
I looked it up in the dictionary, and found that "sit", "lie(lay)", "stand" are all "incomplete intransitive verbs".
Sit, for example, isn’t an incomplete intransitive verb exclusively -- it is also a complete intransitive verb(*1), and this is where you get “He sat.” Lie is pretty much the same. Here is one example: “They lay.”(*2)
Screenshot from 2024-02-21 10-25-34.png

It’s not a question of “can” or “can’t”. It’s just that anglophones pretty much don’t say “s/he lay” or “I lay” in daily lives. With the right context, it’s possible (like the example shown above).

(*1) Wen Shin’s English-Chinese Dictionary of Contemporary English, publisher: Wen Shin
(*2) Corpus of Contemporary American English
Source: The Kenyon Review, 2001, Vol. 23, Iss 1; pg. 29
Title: Two Long Lost Stories From The Soviet 1920s
Author: Leonid Dobychin
Also from The Kenyon Review website:
Two Long Lost Stories from the Soviet 1920s
By Leonid Dobychin, translated by Natalia Belova and Richard C. Borden

Last edited:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It’s just that anglophones pretty much don’t say “s/he lay” or “I lay” in daily lives. With the right context, it’s possible (like the example shown above).
That example is a translation of a Russian sentence, so I'd be cautious about regarding it as a "right context" for using "lay" as a predicate unto itself in standard English.

"Lay" can certainly end a sentence or clause, but there will normally be an adverb or adverbial elsewhere which is related to "lay":

"There he lay."
"She was in the room where he lay."

When "lay" is used without an adverb or adverbial, it will normally function as a sort of linking verb, introducing an expression applying to the subject:

"He lay still."
"They lay awake."

I checked the Oxford English Dictionary online and briefly thought I'd found a very respectable old example of "lay" functioning without an adverbial or complement:

"O bliss, when all in circle drawn
About him, heart and ear were fed
To hear him, as he lay and read
The Tuscan poets on the lawn:"
- Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memorium (1850)

However, even in that example, there is an adverbial related to "lay." It is down on the next line: ". . . he lay . . . on the lawn." :)

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
That example is a translation of a Russian sentence, so I'd be cautious about regarding it as a "right context" for using "lay" as a predicate unto itself in standard English.

"Lay" can certainly end a sentence or clause, but there will normally be an adverb or adverbial elsewhere which is related to "lay":

"There he lay."
"She was in the room where he lay."

When "lay" is used without an adverb or adverbial, it will normally function as a sort of linking verb, introducing an expression applying to the subject:

"He lay still."
"They lay awake."

I checked the Oxford English Dictionary online and briefly thought I'd found a very respectable old example of "lay" functioning without an adverbial or complement:

"O bliss, when all in circle drawn
About him, heart and ear were fed
To hear him, as he lay and read
The Tuscan poets on the lawn:"
- Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memorium (1850)

However, even in that example, there is an adverbial related to "lay." It is down on the next line: ". . . he lay . . . on the lawn." :)
So, with regard to "stand" and "sit", these two words can be seen as "incomplete intransitive verbs" even when they are used without an adverb or adverbial. And if these two verbs are used with "adjective", then they can be seen as a "linking verb", is that correct.

For example:
1. They lay there. (lay is a incomplete intransitive verb)
2. They lay still. (lay is a linking verb)

Is that correct.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're missing a couple of these --->?

Remember to capitalize the word that begins a sentence.

**an adjective

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, with regard to "stand" and "sit", these two words can be seen as "incomplete intransitive verbs" even when they are used without an adverb or adverbial. And if these two verbs are used with "adjective", then they can be seen as a "linking verb", is that correct.

For example:
1. They lay there. (lay is a incomplete intransitive verb)
2. They lay still. (lay is a linking verb)

I dislike the idea that there are "incomplete verbs." All verbs are complete. Many verbs just need one or more additions (a direct object, a subject complement, an adverbial) to form a complete predicate in a clause or sentence. However, "stand" and "sit" are not among such verbs. I agree with Jutfrank:

I'm saying that He stood and He sat are complete whereas He lay is incomplete. It's incomplete in that it needs a complement in order to express a complete thought.

Last edited:

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I dislike the idea that there are "incomplete verbs." All verbs are complete. Many verbs just need one or more additions (a direct object, a subject complement, an adverbial) to form a complete predicate in a clause or sentence. However, "stand" and "sit" are not among such verbs. I agree with Jutfrank:
But "stand" and "sit" can also be among them.

Is that correct?

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
No, 'stand' and 'sit' are not among them. These two verbs don't need anything more to form a complete predicate.
1. He sits still. (OK)
2. He sits. (OK)
3. He lay down. (OK)
4. He lay there. (OK)
5. He lay still. (OK)
6. He lay. (wrong)

Are they all correct?