[Grammar] He wouldn’t know how to treat a member of the gentler sex if she smacked him ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

greniu69

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Due to some length restriction whole sentence doesn't fit in the title and since I'm new to the forum I don't really know how to properly address this issue.

Anyway, full sentence is:
"He was just a lowbrow mug who wouldn’t know how to treat a member of the gentler sex if she smacked him upside the head with a sack full of vaginas."

Please tell me, does it mean that even if that would have happened he still wouldn't know how to treat women or quite opposite if that would have actually happened then he would finally realize how to do it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Due to [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] restrictions on the length of titles, [STRIKE]length restriction[/STRIKE] the whole sentence doesn't fit in the title box and since I'm new to the forum I don't really know how to properly address this issue.

Anyway, the full sentence is:
"He was just a lowbrow mug who wouldn’t know how to treat a member of the gentler sex if she smacked him upside the head with a sack full of vaginas."

[STRIKE]Please tell me,[/STRIKE] Does it mean that even if that [STRIKE]would have[/STRIKE] happened, he still wouldn't know how to treat women or [STRIKE]quite[/STRIKE] the opposite - if that [STRIKE]would have[/STRIKE] actually happened, then he would finally realize how to do it?

Please note my corrections above.

The first of your interpretations is the correct one.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must say, that's the first time I'm heard that rather memorable phrase. I've heard a male version on several occasions, but never the female equivalent.

Of course, there's also the delightful irony of juxtaposing 'gentler' with 'smacking upside the head'.

Here is a source (which the OP neglected to state). It's a modern day (2017) attempt at pulp noir fiction. He seems to have mixed in modern day slang with his halfhearted attempts at recreating the stereotypical dialogue of the genre.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He doesn't understand women. End of.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
greniu69, your thread title is just fine.

Please remember to tell us the source and author of any text you quote in post #1, please.

greniu69

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Sorry, beginner's mistake. I have taken too literally advice of 'not wasting words'. Thankfully @Skrej fixed my mistake. Do you want me to edit original post?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, beginner's mistake. I have taken too literally advice of 'not wasting words'. Thankfully @Skrej fixed my mistake. Do you want me to edit original post?

No, don't worry about it now. Simply remember to quote the source and author in post 1 from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.