Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is a TOEFL listening practice from ETS, Educational Testing Service. I don't know if it is too long for this forum.

Does the title need something between "health club" and "library," for example, a comma or "and?"

Why does the topic change from health clubs to libraries?

Health Club Library
Narrator: Listen to a conversation between a student and a business professor.
Professor: So, Richard … what’s up?
Student: Well, I know we have a test coming up on chapters … uh …
Professor: Chapters 3 and 4 from your textbook …
Student: Right … 3 and 4. Well, I, uh … I didn’t get something you said in class Monday.
Professor: Alright, do you remember what it was about?
Student: Yeah, you were talking about a gym … a health club, where people can go to exercise … that kind of thing.
Professor: OK. But the health-club model is actually from chapter 5, so …
Student: Uh, chapter 5? Oh, so it’s not … OK, but I guess I still want to try to understand
Professor: Of course. Well, I was talking about an issue in strategic marketing. Um, the health-club model, um … I mean, with a health club, you might think they would have trouble attracting customers, right?
Student: Well, I know when I pass by a health club and I see all those people working out … exercising … I’d just as soon walk on by!
Professor: Yeah, there’s that, plus … lots of people have exercise equipment at home, or they can play sports with their friends, right?
Student: Sure.
Professor: But nowadays, in spite of all that, and expensive membership fees, health clubs are hugely popular. So, how come?
Student: I guess that’s what I didn’t understand.
Professor: OK. Basically, they have to offer things that most people can’t find anywhere else— You know, quality. That means better exercise equipment, high-end stuff. Um, and … classes … exercise classes, maybe aerobics …
Student: I’m not sure if I … oh, OK, I get it … Yeah. And you know, another thing is, I think people probably feel good about themselves when they’re at the gym. And they can meet new people, socialize …
Professor: Right. So, health clubs offer high-quality facilities, and also, they sell an image … about people having more fun, relating better to others, and improving their own lives, if they become members.
Student: Sure. That makes sense.
Professor: Well then, uh, can you think of another business or organization that could benefit from doing this?
Student: Um …
Professor: Think about an important building on campus here, something everyone uses … a major source of … information.
Student: You mean like, an administrative building?
Professor: Well, that’s not what I had in mind …
Student: Oh! You mean the library?
Professor: Exactly. Libraries. Imagine public libraries. … They’re an information resource for the whole community, right?
Student: Well, they can be, but … now, with the Internet, and big bookstores, you can probably get what you need without going to a library.
Professor: That’s true. So, if you were the director of a public library, what would you do about that?
Student: To get more people to stop in? Well, like you said, better equipment. Maybe a super-fast Internet connection. And not just a good variety of books, but also, like, nice, comfortable areas where people can read and do research. Things that make them want to come to the library, and stay.
Professor: Great.
Student: Oh, and … maybe have authors come and do some readings? Or, I don’t know … special presentations. Something people couldn’t get at home.
Professor: Now you’re getting it.
Student: Thanks, Professor Wilkins. I think so too …

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Health Club/Library

Instead of "have to offer" just say "offer".