Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
in A Day in London, Oxford Reading Tree, there's a paragraph as below:
They went to Trafalgar Square. On top of the column was a statue of Nelson. "I wouldn't like to be up there", said Biff. "I don't like heights."
What does heights mean here? Why is it in plural form? Can it be height? And what does this sentence mean? Does it mean Biff doesn't like to be in a place that is very high?
Thank you for your help!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't like heights.

It means "I don't like to be in places far/high above the ground". It comes in plural form, to refer to places rather than a place.
The fear of heights is also called acrophobia.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In "A Day in London", Oxford Reading Tree, there's a paragraph as below I read/found the following:

They went to Trafalgar Square. On top of the column was a statue of Nelson. "I wouldn't like to be up there", said Biff. "I don't like heights."

1. What does "heights" mean here?
2. Why is it in the/its plural form?
3. Can it be changed to "height"?
4. And What does this the sentence mean? Does it mean Biff doesn't like to be in a place that is very high?

Thank you for your help! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" icon, found by hovering over the "Like" button.

Note my corrections above. If you want to ask more than one question about a text, please number your questions. It makes it easier for us to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.