Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A 30-year-old woman, who’s a friend of mine, is looking for a private tutor. She wants to learn English and I think David Mitchell is the only one who’s capable of teaching her. So I sent a text message to David and ask David to help her. David can therefore earn some money. I told David to charge her 800 yuan because my friend's company would give the money she spends on her tutoring to her.

I wrote the sentence "Her company would compensate her".

Is the italic sentence natural? Please help me with a natural one.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, how about "Her company will pay for/reimburse her for her tuition fees"?
You compensate someone for something that is lost.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A 30-year-old woman, who’s a friend of mine no comma here is looking for a private tutor. She wants to learn English and I think David Mitchell is the only one who’s capable of teaching her. So I sent him a text message to David and asked David him if he'd like to earn some money to help by tutoring her. David can therefore earn some money. I told David him to charge her 800 yuan because my friend's her company would give the money she spends on her tutoring to her. will be paying for the classes.

I wrote the sentence "Her company would compensate reimburse her".

Is the italic sentence natural? Please help me with a natural one.
They'll be reimbursing her if she pays for the classes herself and then the company gives her the same amount of money later.
They're paying for the classes if they're going to pay David direct.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They'll be reimbursing her if she pays for the classes herself and then the company gives her the same amount of money later.
They're paying for the classes if they're going to pay David direct.
Much appreciated, EMS.

Do I need to say "Her company will reimburse her"? Will this sound more natural? I used "would" because the conditional here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Silverobama I forgot to mention in post #3 that you need to work on using pronouns. You used "David" five times in that short paragraph. Once his name had been given, he should have been referred to using "him" and "his" afterwards.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
@Silverobama I forgot to mention in post #3 that you need to work on using pronouns. You used "David" five times in that short paragraph. Once his name had been given, he should have been referred to using "him" and "his" afterwards.
Got it. Much appreciated! I'll do better next time. If you still remember the "then" issue, I think you'll agree with me this time and believe that I'll do better in my future threads. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much appreciated, EMS. emsr2d2.

Do I need to say "Her company will reimburse her"? Will this sound more natural? I used "would" because the conditional here.
It would indeed make more sense to say "will" if you're certain that will happen. It also suggests that you're pretty sure David's going to take her on as a student.

If David tutored her and she paid David direct, her company would reimburse her.
David will tutor her, she'll pay David direct and her company will reimburse her.