Hey ho- meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to come up with an AmE version of the "staff" comment, but all I can think of is "you just can't find/get good help these days", but, that doesn't have the same connotation. In fact, by "help", it may mean "servent", which has a rather nasty ring to it...

I've been trying to come up with an AmE version of the "staff" comment, but all I can think of is "you just can't find/get good help these days", but, that doesn't have the same connotation. In fact, by "help", it may mean "servent", which has a rather nasty ring to it...
'Staff' is more menial in Br Eng then in Am Eng. When I worked for DEC it took a while to learn 'this will be addressed at staff level' meant 'you lot don't need to know about it - these things are way above your pay grade' ;-) .. 'Can't get the staff' is doubly insulting: the person alluded to is both an inferior and incompetent.

b

NOT A TEACHER

From my reading online British newspapers, I have learned that, in fact, you REALLY canNOT get the

staff, especially in some hospitals. Same problem here in the United States of America.

hey ho = never mind? (here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back