How do you say or do you understand "make-up days" in the US, UK, or other English-speaking countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In Taiwan, when a national/public holiday falls on Thursday or Tuesday, we always have a "bridge holiday" on Friday or Monday to make a four-day long weekend.

But the bridge holiday NEEDS to be compensated by making a Saturday from a different weekend a working day, which I translate into a "make-up day" from Chinese.

However, it seems that it's NOT the case in the US. I don't think there's such a make-up day thing in the US. (I'm not sure about the UK.)

So in this case, how would you call it in NATURAL English?

If I just call it "a make-up day," will you understand easily?

If I use it as a phrasal verb, is that a NATURAL way to express it? Like this--"Do we have to make up the bridge holiday this weekend?"

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
So in this case, how would you call it in NATURAL English?
I've never heard of such arrangements, so there is no expression in English-speaking countries for it.
If I just call it "a make-up day," will you understand easily?
People would assume you are talking about make-up (personal cosmetics, e.g. lipstick, etc).
If I use it as a phrasal verb, is that a NATURAL way to express it? Like this--"Do we have to make up the bridge holiday this weekend?"
In that sentence, the listener would think you're talking about a holiday related to bridges.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We have no name for those days in the UK.

Here, when a Bank Holiday (which is what we call public holidays) falls on a Sunday, we all know that the following day is going to count as a public day-off.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is the first time I hear the terms "bridge holiday" and "make-up day", though they sound logical.

How about:
Since Thurday is a public holiday, you take Friday off to get a long weekend. You can make up by working on the following (or another) Saturday.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
We have no name for those days in the UK.

Here, when a Bank Holiday (which is what we call public holidays) falls on a Sunday, we all know that the following day is going to count as a public day-off.
Have you heard of the term "bridge holiday" before?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Never.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is the first time I have heard the terms "bridge holiday" and "make-up day", though they sound logical.

How about:
Since Thursday is a public holiday, you take Friday off to get a long weekend. You can make it up by working on the following (or another) Saturday.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I lived in Spain, this was a common occurrence. Everyone got very excited about "el puente" (literally, "the bridge"). It usually happened when a public holiday fell on a Friday - the following Monday was deemed another public holiday! This didn't happen every time there was a holiday on a Friday, though.
We don't use the term in BrE. That's mainly because our public holidays, known as Bank Holidays (except at Christmas) always fall on a Monday. The date is irrelevant. You don't have to make up the time later. If it's a public holiday, you simply don't work. Bear in mind, that's not the same for all employers. Most supermarkets, for example, are open on all Bank Holidays except Christmas Day.
As Rover said, if a holiday that is always the same date (Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day) falls on a Saturday or a Sunday, the following Monday is deemed to be the Bank Holiday instead. On a year when Christmas Day is Saturday (and therefore Boxing Day is Sunday), the following Monday and Tuesday are the Bank Holidays.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only people I know of that such logic applies to is the garbage men. If they normally work Monday through Friday and there's a holiday on Monday, they work Tuesday-Saturday that week. Garbage needs to be picked up.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only people I know of that such logic applies to is the garbage men. If they normally work Monday through Friday and there's a holiday on Monday, they work Tuesday-Saturday that week. Garbage needs to be picked up.
Not in the UK. If your rubbish is usually collected on a Monday and that day happens to be a Bank Holiday, you have to wait until the following Monday for your next collection.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not in the UK. If your rubbish is usually collected on a Monday and that day happens to be a Bank Holiday, you have to wait until the following Monday for your next collection.
We’re lucky, then. In my local authority, Hyndburn (the Accrington area of NW England), when our collection day falls on a Bank Holiday Monday, our rubbish/recycling is collected on the preceding Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.