Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
The sentances are, The question is, "How does the race question fit in as an overlay to all of this?" And when we talk about the prosperity society, was that truly a prosperity society in terms of distribution?

Do I need to put single quotation marks for 'race question'?
Does the quotation marks stop at the first question?
Is the second sentance even a question?

The way the speaker was saying these sentances, it sounded like they should all be in a quotation, however, at the beginning, it says "The question is" (singular form). So I stoped the quotation after the first question.

I'm doing a transcription FYI, so I kind of need some help with it. Sorry for bothering, whoever answers, with too many questions.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The question is: how does the race question fit in as an overlay to all of this? And when we talk about the prosperity society, was that truly a prosperity society in terms of distribution?
Try that. Also, pay attention to your spelling. You misspelled "stopped" and "sentences". If necessary, install an English spell-checker in your browser or text editor.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Matacar, note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique, relevant to the thread and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Don't tell us what your question is or what it's about in the title.

matacar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
The spelling is good in the transcription, I do use grammarly to spell-check. I do not think it's a good idea to use colons in this case. I read the manual for transcribing on this website, and they always use comma with quotation marks, not colons. Also is the second sentence a question for me to use a question mark?

matacar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
My apologies, I'll be more careful next time.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The spelling is good in the transcription, I do use grammarly to spell-check. I do not think it's a good idea to use colons in this case. I read the manual for transcribing on this website, and they always use comma with quotation marks, not colons.
Then why did you ask if you already "know" how to punctuate?
I don't feel inclined to want to help you anymore, but I can guarantee you your punctuation is no good. Here's a tip for you: look up "comma splice error".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]The sentences are:[/STRIKE] "The question is, how does the race question fit in as an overlay to all of this, and when we talk about the prosperity society, was that truly a prosperity society in terms of distribution?"

I don't know whom you're quoting. Always give us the sources of quotations.

Do I need to put single quotation marks for 'race question'?

We usually use two-tick quotation marks ("......"), but the important thing is to be consistent.

There is no reason to put quotation marks around race question. That would be incorrect.

Do the quotation marks stop at the first question?

Quotation marks go around an entire quotation and not around anything else. You used them incorrectly, which made the whole thing very hard to understand.

Again, whom are you quoting?

Is the second sentance even a question?

Yes.

The way the speaker was speaking these sentences, it sounded like they should all be in quotation marks,

That would mean you're quoting a speaker who is quoting someone else. As I read it, that's not what happened. Your speaker was not quoting someone else.

however, at the beginning, it says "The question is" (singular form). So I stopped the quotation after the first question.

Do you mean you closed the quotes before the quote was finished? That's a mistake. The entire quotation should be in quotation marks.

The speaker was combining it all into one long question. Notice that I changed your quotation marks to surround the entire quote.

Where did you hear this?

I'm doing a transcription [STRIKE]FYI[/STRIKE], and I [STRIKE]kind of[/STRIKE] need some help with it. Sorry for bothering, whoever answers, with so many questions.
Use quotation marks when it's a direct word-for-word quote. When it's not, don't.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The spelling is good in the transcription.

No, it's not. You spelled sentence wrong.

I do use Grammarly to spell-check.

Then Grammarly spelled it wrong, too.

I do not think it's a good idea to use colons in this case. I read the manual for transcribing on this website, and they always use comma with quotation marks, not colons.

Commas are more common, but we often use colons to introduce quotations.

Also, is the second sentence a question that needs a question mark?

All questions need question marks.
Now you know!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.