Academic
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

I am trying to avoid the use of passive voice in my academic paper, but most of academic articles use more passive than active voice. Are they not adequated ?

Which sentence sounds better FOR academic writting:

1-Human studies are needed to confirm the beneficial effects of 1-HIIT and 3-HIIT.
OR
2-It is imperative to confirm in humans the beneficial effects of 1-HIIT and 3-HIIT

Thanks

I am not sure what you mean by "adequated." My Brazilian colleague also uses this word sometimes, but it is not common to use it as a verb. Maybe at one time in English it was so, but it just strikes one as incorrect.

Passive language is traditionally normal for academic writing. I prefer your sentence 1. I don't think sentence 2 is actually active.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I am trying to avoid the use of passive voice in my academic paper, but most of academic articles use more passive than active voice. Are they not [STRIKE]adequated[/STRIKE] adequate ?

Which sentence sounds better FOR academic [STRIKE]writting[/STRIKE] writing?

1-Human studies are needed to confirm the beneficial effects of 1-HIIT and 3-HIIT.
OR
2-It is imperative to confirm in humans the beneficial effects of 1-HIIT and 3-HIIT

Thanks

What are the substances (1-HIIT and 3-HIIT) beneficial to?
By "human studies", I think it is ambiguous whether the studies are done by humans or done on humans?

I would write:
(Further) Studies are required to be carried out to confirm the beneficial effects of 1-HIIT and 3-HIIT on humans.

Did you mean antiquated?

I am trying to avoid the use of passive voice in my academic paper

Why?

Which sentence sounds better FOR academic writting:

OR

1 is good. 2 is wrong for reasons we don't need to go into.

It's very useful and highly appropriate to use the passive in technical scientific writing. Has somebody told you otherwise?

Yes, but I agree with you, I see several articles using passive voice. Thanks!

Please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Also note that the use of "x" in your original title wasn't correct. You need to ask about "active voice v passive voice". The "v" replaces "versus". You can, if you wish, use the whole word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back