Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Gan headed slowly towards the exit, not being in a hurry to meet the bears. Outside, Lili heard a change in bear vocalisations and knew they were not happy, and she was now positive that they had discovered Gan, but there was no rage in their voices. The bear cub let out a long whine and then suddenly the bears exited the cave. Lili nocked an arrow, and then Gan came out of the cave with his smoking torch, the bears kept running. Lili walked down towards Gan, who was coughing a little. “Is that the shirt your wife made for your birthday last week?”

Gan nodded. “Do you think she’ll notice? Maybe it’ll look better after I wash it.”

Lili took the shirt off of the torch and held it up. “Well, the soot might come out, but this hole isn't going anywhere. You could try turning it into a pocket.”

Before heading back to the village, Lili hung the shirt on a stick and put it in the entrance of the cave. “That might deter the bears from going back inside for a little while at least. What will you tell Jingying?”

Gan smiled. “That the shirt she made for me saved my life.” They both laughed.

Gan explained to Jingying the series of events that led to his shirt’s demise. “Gan, if you didn’t like the shirt I worked so hard on, you should have just said so. There’s no reason to make up such an elaborate story. You could have at least burnt it a little and showed it to me rather than just throwing it away.”

Gan open his mouth to defend himself but couldn’t get a word out. Then both Lili and Jingying burst out laughing.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Lili nocked an arrow, and then Gan came out of the cave with his smoking torch, the bears kept running.

This needs a bit of work on the punctuation.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This needs a bit of work on the punctuation.

Oops. A comma splice error again. Ok, what about now?

Gan headed slowly towards the exit, not being in a hurry to meet the bears. Outside, Lili heard a change in bear vocalisations and knew they were not happy, and she was now positive that they had discovered Gan, but there was no rage in their voices. The bear cub let out a long whine and then suddenly the bears exited the cave. Lili nocked an arrow, and then Gan came out of the cave with his smoking torch; the bears kept running. Lili walked down towards Gan, who was coughing a little. “Is that the shirt your wife made for your birthday last week?”

Gan nodded. “Do you think she’ll notice? Maybe it’ll look better after I wash it.”

Lili took the shirt off of the torch and held it up. “Well, the soot might come out, but this hole isn't going anywhere. You could try turning it into a pocket.”

Before heading back to the village, Lili hung the shirt on a stick and put it in the entrance of the cave. “That might deter the bears from going back inside for a little while at least. What will you tell Jingying?”

Gan explained to Jingying the series of events that led to his shirt’s demise. “Gan, if you didn’t like the shirt I worked so hard on, you should have just said so. There’s no reason to make up such an elaborate story. You could have at least burnt it a little and showed it to me rather than just throwing it away.”

Gan open his mouth to defend himself but couldn’t get a word out. Then both Lili and Jingying burst out laughing.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Gam opened his mouth to defend himself but couldn't get a word out.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As for the bears, I guess you could just say he heard the bears. (That's got to be very scary.)

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Ok, what about now? Is there any room to share, or do you have something to share?

Gan headed slowly towards the exit, not being in a hurry to meet the bears. Outside, Lili heard the bears and knew they were not happy, and she was now positive that they had discovered Gan, but there was no rage in their voices. The bear cub let out a long whine and then suddenly the bears exited the cave. Lili nocked an arrow, and then Gan came out of the cave with his smoking torch; the bears kept running. Lili walked down towards Gan, who was coughing a little. “Is that the shirt your wife made for your birthday last week?”

Gan opened his mouth to defend himself but couldn’t get a word out. Then both Lili and Jingying burst out laughing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.