Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
We're now approaching 50 posts in this thread. I suggest you spend some time re-reading them all.

If you still have a specific question about a particular use of the present perfect, then present it clearly and concisely so that it is easy for us to answer.

I don't know how exactly I could write more. In post #41, #44 and #45 I just used the advice from the post #39.

And those last posts 41,44 and 45 are just here to be checked if I'm doing a correct interpretation or if it's completely wrong.

Like it was the last time with "How did I get here".
So well what do you think about the example from 41,44 and 45 do I correctly interpret them

But I'll try to edit my last posts.

Last edited:

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
I've made some corrections. So maybe it will be ok now I guess :-D

Thanks.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
The problem here is that these sentences are very unnatural. We are far more likely to say something like:

1. Was I talking too loudly?
2. Have I been talking too loudly?

#1 is more likely to be said some time after the talking. The speaker sees it as a past-time occurrence.
#2 is more likely to be said immediately after the talking. The speaker is seeing the talking as taking place in a time period that extends up to the present moment.

Good to know :D Because the first one "Did I say it loud?" was used in the movie :D.

It's pretty the same but using continues version (emphasizing past action or present action).

By the way what do you think about post #45 ?

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Edited ! :)

By the way, you missed this one. (yes I used past simple :D just because to emphasize the past action, not looking at the present situation)

"I'm talking about exclusive groups [...] created to manage control, a dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope, his followers nothing but addicts [...]"

I guess it's some kind of background story ? Or emphasizing the past action, that they were created for something for the future (present).

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Xenon, you have received nearly thirty responses to your questions in this thread, and haven't clicked on Thank or Like for any of them. You are quick enough to post follow-up questions, different questions, and reminders if we haven't yet got round to dealing with one yet. Perhaps it's time you thought about acknowledging the time several people have given up to try to help you.

Yes sure, I'm so sorry then.
I was just engulfed, I'm very excited by this thread because it has a lot of hidden meaning that I didn't receive from any teacher in my country!

Sorry if I was so insistent. I just felt pretty bad thinking that this thread is just beyond me (or I don't know if the meaning of beyond me is correct here, in translater was supposed to mean that it's to difficult to me, so if it's correct then I'll leave it).

I won't rush you up guys and again sorry.

Have a nice day guys!
Oh and I'm thinking about setting an Star Wars avatar according to some users here :-D (I love star wars, Who doesn't like Grey Jedi lore?)

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Hi guys !
I guess I'm not disturbing or something like that :-D
I've lately watched The Fluence live stream, and he was talking about past simple and present perfect, and he said that they can be used interchangeably (when there is no time reference)

What do you think about that ?

+ I would like to leave here and example using just past simple (check it if it's used correctly Thanks !)

Why did Aron let this happen. - trying to say that he made this action "let this happen" in the past, emphasize it, even when the present action is chaos/disaster. Is it used correctly ?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Why did Aron let this happen?"…. Is it used correctly?
Yes. You can change the tense to the present perfect, but the meaning will be a little different.

Never put a space before a question mark.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Yes. You can change the tense to the present perfect, but the meaning will be a little different.

Never put a space before a question mark.
It would mean in present perfect that it emphasize present situation (that it's chaos right now).

Oh and sorry I'm used to use space after a word :D

You won't mind if I'll add one more example but later? I have to find some good ones.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We'll know you've posted enough examples when the members who've been replying to you so far start to ignore them.

"I'm pretty stubborn (known as an annoying person in many forums ...)" (Post #43). Thanks for the heads-up. We tend to lose patience with such people,

Please stop using home-made emoticons to end sentences (I'm used to using a space after a word :D). Use a proper punctuation mark instead.

Last edited:

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
We'll know you've posted enough examples when the members who've been replying to you so far start to ignore them.

"I'm pretty stubborn (known as an annoying person in many forums ...)" (Post #43). Thanks for the heads-up. We tend to lose patience with such people,

Please stop using home-made emoticons to end sentences (I'm used to using a space after a word :D). Use a proper punctuation mark instead.

Roger that...

So here is my last example... And I'm closing the thread.

- I have thought about it once or twice. (he emphasize the present situation that he can think about it again, or something like that)
- I thought about it once or twice. (he says that we was doing this action "think" about "something" once or twice)

Have a nice day guys.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status