Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers
Is using British idioms in American english or the opposite a wierd and unusual thing? Or is it ok?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]Hello teachers[/STRIKE] [The effort to be courteous is appreciated, but we actually prefer that you just ask your question. Thanks!]
Is using British idioms in American English or the opposite a [STRIKE]wierd[/STRIKE] weird and unusual thing? Or is it OK?
Many of them will be understood, but many won't. Many of us Americans have been watching a lot of British TV in the last ten years or more, so we're more likely to understand British idioms than we would have been in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't think of any idioms that aren't used by both (though I'm sure there are some). But there are lots of words and expressions that are mainly used by one or the other.

Usually it's a matter of convenience. For instance, the British peckish doesn't have an exact American one-word equivalent. So it's useful here, and you hear it sometimes.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For instance, the British peckish doesn't have an exact American one-word equivalent. So it's useful here, and you hear it sometimes.
It's common in my Appalachian-influenced region, often combined with another bit of dialect as "I'm feeling a mite peckish." It has a mildly jocular tone to my ear.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's always used playfully.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the past the use of American idioms by a native BrE speaker would have been seen as an affectation but with the increased availability of American TV shows on cable channels there is a lot more crossover now.

Status
Not open for further replies.