Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

It's about a police officer chasing after a suspect:

If he was going to be on the chase much longer, he'd grab some clothes and toiletries other than the small travel bag he always carried with him.

Does it mean if he knew that the chase after the suspect would last so long, he would take with himself more clothes and some toiletries, but he took only the bag which he always carried with himself?

Hi

It's about a police officer chasing after a suspect:

If he was going to be on the chase much longer, he'd grab some clothes and toiletries other than the small travel bag he always carried with him.

Does it mean if he knew that the chase after the suspect would last so long, he would take with himself more clothes and some toiletries, but he took only the bag which he always carried with himself?

Yes, but another point: "If he were going to be...." (correct). "If he was going to be....." (popular usage)

It is more likely to be a reporting of his thoughts:

"If I am going to be on the chase much longer [= if it happens that this will be the case], then I will grab some clothes.. [=this is my intention].

If that is so, then were is inappropriate.

One more question.
Does the part: other than the small travel bag he always carried with him. mean that he's got this travel bag with him or not?

Does the part: other than the small travel bag he always carried with him. mean that he's got this travel bag with him or not?
Yes. Other than means apart from, except for, different from.

It is more likely to be a reporting of his thoughts:

"If I am going to be on the chase much longer [= if it happens that this will be the case], then I will grab some clothes.. [=this is my intention].

If that is so, then were is inappropriate.

I think "if" negates intent and further "will" should change to "would". Also, how about "if that were so etc."?

1. I think "if" negates intent and 2. further "will" should change to "would". Also, 3. how about "if that were so etc."?
1. 'If' does not negate intent; it merely makes the intent dependent on the fulfilment of a condition: "If you say that again, I'll kill you".
2. In the reported version of my version of the writer's thoughts, then will is indeed backshifted to would.
3. If that were so is used in hypothetical/unreal situations. The situation I suggested concerns a real possibility.

1. 'If' does not negate intent; it merely makes the intent dependent on the fulfilment of a condition: "If you say that again, I'll kill you".
2. In the reported version of my version of the writer's thoughts, then will is indeed backshifted to would.
3. If that were so is used in hypothetical/unreal situations. The situation I suggested concerns a real possibility.

First, the direct answer to Guest2008's original question is "yes". Second, I would concede a poor choice of words on my part by suggesting that the "if" in the post "negates intent". Rather, I would propose that the "if" represents an inference of a potential action which is/was contrary to fact (one of several uses of the subjunctive) i.e. contrary to what actually occurred.

First, the direct answer to Guest2008's original question is "yes". Second, I would concede a poor choice of words on my part by suggesting that the "if" in the post "negates intent". Rather, I would propose that the "if" represents an inference of a potential action which is/was contrary to fact (one of several uses of the subjunctive) i.e. contrary to what actually occurred.
Guest's first question is phrased in the form of a second condition, so the correct (if nit-picking) answer is NO.

In the possible reading I suggested in #3, there is no question of a counterfactual situation or of a subjunctive

Guest's first question is phrased in the form of a second condition, so the correct (if nit-picking) answer is NO.

In the possible reading I suggested in #3, there is no question of a counterfactual situation or of a subjunctive

This is Guest2008's first question: "Does it mean if he knew that the chase after the suspect would last so long, he would take with himself more clothes and some toiletries, but he took only the bag which he always carried with himself?"
My answer was/is "yes". If your answer would be "no", then "what do you think the statement means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back