If these aren't called roller shutters, what are they called then?

Idk2222

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany

Many native speakers were confused as to what a roller shutter was when I brought up the term. It kind of surprises me because that's what wikipedia calls them in addition to other things.

220px-Stellladen_Roll_fcm.jpg

220px-El_Con_vacant_storefronts.jpg

Nobody knows everything.

Nobody knows everything.
But then what do you call them? What's the most common term for the things you see in the pictures?

I don't know what the most common terms are. As I said, nobody knows everything. (It's easier to concentrate power than it is to concentrate knowledge. (Thomas Sowell)) As for your examples, the first one I would call "shutters" or "windows"; the second looks like a garage door opener.

I don't know what the most common terms are. As I said, nobody knows everything. (It's easier to concentrate power than it is to concentrate knowledge. (Thomas Sowell)) As for your examples, the first one I would call "shutters" or "windows"; the second looks like a garage door opener.
Those aren't garages though. Those stores in a mall.

OK. Then just call them shutters.

Here's the thing. I don't see those kinds of things in my everyday life. Looks like what people have to do when there is a lot of crime.

I would call the ones on the stores in the mall "security shutters".

Also apparently (again) asked here.

• Thanks
Reactions: 5jj
@Idk2222 This is the third thread of yours that someone has found on another forum. Please indicate here that you have read our responses explaining why we ask users not to post on multiple forums. If we don't hear from you to indicate your understanding, I will lock all your threads that have been posted elsewhere.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back