I'm glad to see that you're not letting an education get in the way of your ignorance.

frindle2

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. What does it meany by "I'm glad to see that you're not letting an education get in the way of your ignorance."?

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does it meany by "I'm glad to see that you're not letting an education get in the way of your ignorance."?
It's a sarcastic way of expressing the opinion that the hearer remains ignorant despite being in school.

Being in school is not getting in the way of (posing an obstacle to) the hearer's ignorance, in the opinion of the speaker.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It's indirectly telling someone that they remain ignorant despite receiving education.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. What does it meany by "I'm glad to see that you're not letting an education get in the way of your ignorance."?
Where did you see that sentence? You must cite the source every time you quote someone else's words.

frindle2

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Where did you see that sentence? You must cite the source every time you quote someone else's words.
I saw that in the book, Catch Me If I Fall by Barry Jonsberg. I think the quote is kind of common, so there's no need to cite it. Sorry.