Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
I figured I'd open a new thread. Please review the first part of my story.

In the winter of 2021, the lights went out for 35 million Brazilians across the northeast. Panic spread throughout Alagoas, injuring hundreds. Twenty people died in the dark. What was to blame? A small vulnerability in the transmission control room. Mark Jackson, a disgruntled employee, unleashed a virus into the mainframe and disappeared without leaving a digital trace. Three hours later, the system overloaded, and the grid shut down. Ten years on, modern systems have advanced and become significantly more robust. Twenty-thirty marked the installation of Brazil's first advanced AI (AAI). AAI is a highly intricate and smart computer software that manages entire cities, providing centralized control over subway lines, traffic lights, surveillance cameras, and electricity grids. An AI now controls a major city, but who adjusts and tweaks the underlying system? The answer is private companies that harvest data and information from the AAI. They have unrestricted access to personal data, which is the key commodity and a means to manipulating the masses. Every citizen is no longer an individual, but a data cluster bound to a vast global network.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Can panic injure people?

Silverhand

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
Thank you for reading my passage. I'm surprised that there weren't grammatical mistakes. I was expecting a few tbh.
As for panic injuring people, I see it cannot injure people per se, but I thought it was implied that panic led to chaos, which ultimately left wounded behind. Would this alternative make more sense?
"Panic spread throughout Alagoas, causing mayhem in the city that injured hundreds."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You'll need to reword that last line. As it stands, it's saying that it's the city that injured hundreds.

Silverhand

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
Imo, it would mean that if I'd said "which caused," not "causing." This is purely a grammatical ambiguity to me because the reader wouldn't assume Alagoas itself caused mayhem in Alagoas if exactly three words before it I said "panic spread throughout."
In any case, do you think that it would be clearer if I removed "in the city."?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Panic spread throughout (seized) Alagoas (no comma) causing mayhem in the city [STRIKE]that injured [/STRIKE] injuring hundreds.

I don't think panic, like a virus, is contagious and can spread. How about seized/overcame?
I think replacing that injured with injuring would clear the ambiguity.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that outside of the text and tweet worlds, tbh and imo are not words. We like words here. Thanks!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You'll need to reword that last line. As it stands, it's saying that it's the city that injured hundreds.
Right. Try:

"Panic spread throughout Alagoas, causing mayhem in the city and injuring hundreds."

Silverhand

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
I thought those two abbreviations were ubiquitous regardless of the setting. Anyone understands what they mean. I think it's fine to use them, provided that they don't impede understanding.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They are not that common outside the world of informal internet/texting communication.

Unless we are discussing that sort of informal communication, we ask members to use standard English in this forum.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Silverhand: if you wish to express gratitude, please use the Thank button. There is no need to make a posting for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.