Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you know what "inclemency" means? Did you look it up in the same dictionary?

moseen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Do you know what "inclemency" means? Did you look it up in the same dictionary?

I know the meaning of "inclemency", but I don't understand the whole of fragment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it "as of" that's confusing you? You really need to be more clear. You understand "inclemency" and I'm pretty sure you know what "weather" is, which only leaves two words that could be causing you a problem.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The link you gave includes multiple definitions for "rigor". One of which means "inclemency" as in inclement weather. Be careful when using the word "rigor". It is not an adjective so you won't find "rigor weather" but it may be used to signify the harshness of weather.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't speak for AmE, but BrE doesn't use any form of "rigour" to talk about inclement weather.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have seen the "rigors of winter" somewhere. I'm fairly sure you would use the same thing in BrE.

moseen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Is it "as of" that's confusing you? You really need to be more clear. You understand "inclemency" and I'm pretty sure you know what "weather" is, which only leaves two words that could be causing you a problem.
OK I'm confusing with "as of" and can't related the two word "inclemency" and "weather".

Can I write it a "inclemency about weather"? I mean, is "Inclemency, as of weather"="inclemency about weather" correct?

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK I'm confusing with "as of" and can't related the two word "inclemency" and "weather".

Can I write it a "inclemency about weather"? I mean, is "Inclemency, as of weather"="inclemency about weather" correct?

"Inclemency" means "harsh conditions" particularly in regards to weather. It is very often used in "inclement weather" which is a term you may not have heard before and that could explain your confusion. "As of" means it is used to describe weather and not something else.

moseen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Last edited by a moderator:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It should be "FROM". He may have mistyped it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dictionary definitions use a condensed form of English. Inclemency, as of weather means "Inclemency; for example, weather inclemency."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The most common use of inclement is in descriptions of the weather, which is what the dictionary is noting.

moseen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
The most common use of inclement is in descriptions of the weather, which is what the dictionary is noting.

But inclemency is synonyms for rigor.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But inclemency is synonyms for rigor.

It is not a synonym for every meaning of the word rigor. Rigor, like inclement, can be used to describe harsh weather conditions - the rigours of winter. It is not a straight synonym for rigor. Several different meanings and uses are given for the word, and inclemency is only suggested in one sub-section (1c) of one definition. If you are talking about the rigors of winter, you are talking about harsh weather, and in that area, there is some common ground.

moseen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
It is not a synonym for every meaning of the word rigor. Rigor, like inclement, can be used to describe harsh weather conditions - the rigours of winter. It is not a straight synonym for rigor. Several different meanings and uses are given for the word, and inclemency is only suggested in one sub-section (1c) of one definition. If you are talking about the rigors of winter, you are talking about harsh weather, and in that area, there is some common ground.
I understand Tdol. Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Exact synonyms are not very common. You have words that can be used interchangeably in some contexts, but few that can be used interchangeably in every context.

Status
Not open for further replies.