[Vocabulary] increasing volume of ____ ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zc0000

Member Type
Student or Learner
It is a great place to live apart from the increasing volume of ____ that passes under my window everyday.

A. transport
B. traffic
C. vehicles
D. circulation

Which one is correct ?

I guess B; I think it may be a fixed match that is used to describe a heavy traffic condition;

However I am not 100 percent sure with my answer. 'transport' seems sensible as well; I just google different phrases and think choosing B looks more reasonable.

Please give a detailed explanation on this subject, thanks !

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
It is a great place to live apart from the increasing volume of ____ that passes under my window everyday.

A. transport
B. traffic
C. vehicles
D. circulation

Which one is correct ?

I guess B; I think it may be a fixed match that is used to describe a heavy traffic condition;

However I am not 100 percent sure with my answer. 'transport' seems sensible as well; I just google different phrases and think choosing B looks more reasonable.

In my opinion only B or C could do the job here.
However, I can't justify it nor give a detailed explanation.

I would like to read someone else's opinion.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In my opinion only B or C could do the job here.
However, I can't justify it nor give a detailed explanation.

I would like to read someone else's opinion.
B. is more natural.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

A. transport
B. traffic
C. vehicles
D. circulation

Which one is correct ?

I don't think there's a detailed explanation. "Traffic" is the only normal-sounding answer. It's the only thing that comes in volumes.
Vehicles come in numbers.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I don't think there's a detailed explanation. "Traffic" is the only normal-sounding answer. It's the only thing that comes in volumes.
Vehicles come in numbers.

After I wrote my post above, I kept thinking about this example and I did figure out "volume of vehicles" seems not to make sense because, as you said, vehicles come in numbers. Now I agree "traffic" is the correct answer here.

However, I wonder whether a native speaker would eventually say "volume of vehicles", in this or in any other situation. I ask that because, although vehicle is a countable noun, in Portuguese it is perfectly natural to say the equivalent of "volume of vehicles".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
After I wrote my post above, I kept thinking about this example and I did figure out "volume of vehicles" seems not to make sense because, as you said, vehicles come in numbers. Now I agree "traffic" is the correct answer here.

However, I wonder whether a native speaker would eventually say "volume of vehicles", in this or in any other situation. I ask that because, although vehicle is a countable noun, in Portuguese it is perfectly natural to say the equivalent of "volume of vehicles".
Well, yes, some native speakers will say anything. Even if a minority say "volume of vehicles" (or "less vehicles" instead of "fewer vehicles"), that doesn't make it the correct answer to this question.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Well, yes, some native speakers will say anything. Even if a minority say "volume of vehicles" (or "less vehicles" instead of "fewer vehicles"), that doesn't make it the correct answer to this question.

OK, thanks for your reply Raymott. I asked that question because it is also important for me to identify typical native speakers mistakes. As you know there are some important differences on the typical "mistakes" some one produces in a give language when you compare native speakers to ESL students.

Status
Not open for further replies.