Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well Coolfootluce! What you wrote in your first reply (that specific part) was in my opinion ideologically wrong. Though you might say that it had nothing to do with ideology. For ideologicall reasons I do not approve of the Offroad's text either but I consider it an English-learner-text.

What you said was simply against my ideology.Ideology matters, specially in a public place, so I had to response, which I did. Now I have done my job and it's finished. You can consider this post as my response to your second reply. I am not going to go on with this discussion.

I do not know what you're talking about. I injected no ideology at any point in the first post. I addressed only the language and its effective use the way I would as a copyeditor for any journalist. I am not having a discussion at all. Pax.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This thread is starting to generate more heat than light. Could we calm things down a bit, please?

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teacher, thank you for your efforts, however, I can't understand why 'put forth' can not be synonym with 'exert', this dictionary says it can, if I am not mistaken:

put forth 1. To grow: Plants put forth new growth in the spring.
2. To bring to bear; exert: At least put forth a semblance of effort when you scrub the floor.
3. To offer for consideration: put forth an idea.

put forth - definition of put forth by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Thanks
Now I can see why you wanted to use "put forth"! In American English, one rarely (if ever) hears it used as in definition #2, so that's why many of us felt that it sounded wrong.

The important thing is to consider your audience, and decide which wording will be best understood by your readers. (In other words, if your main audience is not American, não se preocupe!) :up:

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
... just the peak of an iceburg.
I understand perfectly, Khosro! :cool:

Also, I wanted to let you know that the usual metaphor in English is "the tip of the iceberg," in case you wanted to know.
Do they use the same expression in Farsi?

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Now I can see why you wanted to use "put forth"! In American English, one rarely (if ever) hears it used as in definition #2, so that's why many of us felt that it sounded wrong.

The important thing is to consider your audience, and decide which wording will be best understood by your readers. (In other words, if your main audience is not American, não se preocupe!) :up:
I'm going to stick with 'put forth' although 'exert' is much more common.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I understand perfectly, Khosro! :cool:

Also, I wanted to let you know that the usual metaphor in English is "the tip of the iceberg," in case you wanted to know.
Do they use the same expression in Farsi?

Yes, tip. I was playing with "head", "peak", ... for some seconds before I chose peak! Yes the same expression in Farsi but you should consider some of these expressions in Farsi as direct translations from English and other languages. Specially when it comes to something like "iceberg" since we are so far from any iceberg that it could push it's way to the Farsi language.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
... since we are so far from any iceberg that it could push it's way to the Farsi language.
LOL! :lol: I live in Nevada, which is high desert (a location similar to Teheran, I think) and also VERY far from a real iceberg! (I would love to see one someday!)

Status
Not open for further replies.