[Grammar] It makes it a good working environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Gabe: A good company should have good coworkers.

Garrett: Yeah.

Gabe: It makes it a good working environment.
------------

What do the two "it" refer to?

I guess that the red it refers to a company. So what about the blue it? Does it refer to "good coworkers"? But "good coworkers" is plural. :-?

What do you think?
------------
(Source)
watch

It stands for having good coworkers.

Thank you.:)

Does the red 'it' stand for a company or a good company?

Gabe: A good company should have good coworkers.

Garrett: Yeah.

Gabe: It makes it a good working environment.
Does the red 'it' stand for a company or a good company?
The sentence sounds extemporaneous rather than scripted. Most people use less careful language in speech than in writing, and this is a good example. The red "it" could be replaced with the company. The definite article tells the reader this company has been mentioned before, and it has: it's the good one that begins the quote.

The sentence sounds extemporaneous rather than scripted. Most people use less careful language in speech than in writing, and this is a good example. The red "it" could be replaced with the company. The definite article tells the reader this company has been mentioned before, and it has: it's the good one that begins the quote.

Thank you again, GoesStation. :)

Does the green it also refer to the company?

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind reply. :)

I now admit that I can't understand this expression: it's the good one that begins the quote. :-?

What does "the good one" mean?

The definite article tells the reader this company has been mentioned before, and it has: it's the good one that begins the quote.

I now admit that I can't understand this expression: it's the good one that begins the quote. :-?

What does "the good one" mean?
I'll re-write the sentence you're having trouble with and expand all the words that refer to previous bits of the sentence.

The definite article tells the reader this company has been mentioned before, and this company has: this company is the good company that is mentioned in the first words of the quote.

I hope this makes everything clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back