Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=&quot]I OFTEN feel guilty in the kitchen. The problem isn’t my cooking; I live in France and pride myself on my culinary skills. The cause of my guilt is the amount of food I keep throwing away. A pile of leftover pasta, the uneaten salmon from my daughter’s plate, some expired tofu discovered at the back of the fridge – in it all goes. It sits there in a heap on top of the [/FONT]plastic packaging[FONT=&quot]in which most of the food came wrapped.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It might be a modest heap in my kitchen bin, but, worldwide, food waste is a problem of supersized proportions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Source: New Scientist https://www.newscientist.com/articl...food-goes-to-waste-heres-how-to-stop-the-rot/

I don't quite understand the phrase "It sits there in a heap on top of the plastic packaging." "It" appears to be a garbage bin and now it sits there in a heap of something, It is in a heap and so the bin is outside the heap of waste.
The problem is that author says in following: "It might be a modest heap in my kitchen bin" - now the waste is in the bin.

So what does the phrase mean? Or exactly, what does "it sits there in a heap" mean? Is the heap of waste inside or outside the bin?[/FONT]

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
by using the word "heap", the author is trying to convey the idea that the quantity of leftover food which he/she (as well as most people) end up throwing away is not insubstantial.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Okay. But you've not answered my question: the phrase "It sits there in a heap on top of ..." sounds as the garbage bin sits on a hill of waste. And then "It might be a modest heap in my kitchen bin" sounds that the hill is in the bin. Odd. I don't know how to understand it properly.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The plastic packaging is in the bin and the waste food is in a heap on top of it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know how to understand it properly.

Hopefully, that's not true.

Keep in mind that the "it" in the text is the heap of garbage.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The plastic packaging is in the bin and the waste food is in a heap on top of it.

That is, all the waste (including the packaging and food waste) is in the bin?

Keep in mind that the "it" in the text is the heap of garbage.

I am sorry you've made it more complicated rather than simplifying it:

See the context in the OP:
"in it all goes. It sits there in a heap on top of the plastic packaging":

The first "it" refers to the garbage bin while the second "it" refers to the garbage heap.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first and second "it" refer to the wasted food. There is no "it" in the piece that refers to the bin.

First, I throw the plastic packaging in the bin and then I throw the wasted food into the bin where it lands on top of the plastic packaging.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The first and second "it" refer to the wasted food. There is no "it" in the piece that refers to the bin.

First, I throw the plastic packaging in the bin and then I throw the wasted food into the bin where it lands on top of the plastic packaging.

OK. But what is the subject of the sentence "in it all goes"? "All" or "it"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first "it" refers to the garbage bin while the second "it" refers to the garbage heap.

You're wrong here. It refers to the food waste that sits on top of the empty plastic packaging- in both sentences.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. But what is the subject of the sentence "in it all goes"? "All" or "it"?

I had to refer to the OP. :-(

In "in it all goes" the word "it" refers to things (waste) mentioned in previous sentences.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In "in it all goes" the word "it" refers to things (waste) mentioned in previous sentences.
Yes, the meaning of the "it" is unambiguous. But what is the subject? "All" seems to be the only option.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
it all - all of it

The word "it" is the subject there.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
it all - all of it

The word "it" is the subject there.

But what is the object? I repeatedly read the phrase "in it all goes" - it seems to me putting "in" before the "subject" sounds odd unless it is not the subject.
Any one else supports "it" as the subject?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it is the subject. "In it all goes" is another way of saying "It all goes in".

Status
Not open for further replies.