looks fine v. look good v. look nice v. look well

Status
Not open for further replies.
"BIOS looks fine". it identical with BIOS looks good, BIOS looks well, BIOS looks nice?

No. It means 'I couldn't identify any problems with the BIOS'.

Generally, fine often means 'without problems'.

Looks well only works for something living. It's the opposite of looking ill.

Looks well only works for something living. It's the opposite of looking ill.

That's strange. I'd thought these might have been options for different situations. Then Isn't there any option for "look good"? For a nice girl, cannot it be said "looks nice"?

looks nice is almost always to describe an attractive/pleasant/appealing appearance.

A girl can look nice, yes.

look well usually describes a person. It describes a healthy/not ill appearance.

What is the position of "look okey" among them?

Can it be used with both living and non-living things?
Yes, He/She/It looks okay are all commonly used. Nearly all such descriptors work with any kind of thing. The exceptions are those like ill or well that refer to a state of health.

Nearly all such descriptors work with any kind of thing.

Is this one identical to yours in meaning: Allmost all such descriptors applies to/pertains to any kind of thing?

Is this one identical to yours in meaning: Allmost all such descriptors applies to/pertains to any kind of thing?
That would be better addressed in a new thread. You might want to check the message's spelling and verb agreement before you open one.

What is the position of "look okey" among them?

look okay, look fine and look good often do not describe appearance.

Your essay looks okay.
The BIOS looks fine.
The new Bond film looks good.

look okay, look fine and look good often do not describe appearance.

Your essay looks okay.
The BIOS looks fine.
The new Bond film looks good.

If they are not about appearances, what are they about?

How the object seems.
Would you please explain isn't an appearance related to above already how the objects/things seems, including living creatures?

If they are not about appearances, what are they about?

This is what they could mean:

Your essay looks okay. = I think you'll get a passing grade. There are no obvious problems.
The BIOS looks fine. = There are no obvious problems with the BIOS. The problem must lie elsewhere.
The new Bond film looks good. = I think I'm going to enjoy it.

No. It means 'I couldn't identify any problems with the BIOS'.

But is a fine weather the one without problems, and so a bad one is with problems?

But is a fine weather the one without problems, and so a bad one is with problems?
What do you think? Note the modifiers jutfrank used above.

What do you think? Note the modifiers jutfrank used above.
By the adverb, do you mean often? I am confusing characteristic words for weather conditions but somehow rain, snow or a very low temperature might imply problems. Do weather or weather conditions make any collocations with problem. (I will not go deep for this, or I will address it to a new thread.)

Is the opposite of fine weather "weather with problems"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back