Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I read that either gerund or infinitive can be used with "prefer": "We can use a to-infinitive or an -ing form after prefer. A to-infinitive is more common.

She’s not keen on coffee. She prefers to drink tea. (or She prefers drinking tea to coffee.)."

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ru/грамматика/британская-грамматика/prefer

Can "like," "love," and "hate" be used without any change in meaning? For example,

1. "I love to listen to music before sleep" or "I love listening...."

2. "I hate to listen to music before sleep" or "I hate listening..."

3. "I like to listen to music before sleep" or I like listening...."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're all possible, but I don't agree that there's no change in meaning. The participle form conveys more of a sense of duration.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read that either gerund or infinitive can be used with "prefer": "We can use a to-infinitive or an -ing form after prefer. A to-infinitive is more common.

She’s not keen on coffee. She prefers to drink tea. (or She prefers drinking tea to coffee.)."

Can "like," "love," and "hate" be used without any change in meaning?

No. "Like," "love," and "hate" have very different meanings.

For example,

1. "I love to listen to music before sleep" or "I love listening...."

More natural:

- before going to sleep.

- before bedtime.

2. "I hate to listen to music before sleep" or "I hate listening..."

See 1.

3. "I like to listen to music before sleep" or I like listening...."

See 1.
"I love to listen" and "I love listening" mean the same thing to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Rachel, I'm quite certain that your English is of a high enough standard that you know that "like/love" and "hate" don't mean the same thing! I can understand learners sometimes getting confused between "like" and "love" but I'm genuinely surprised that you thought "hate" means the same.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think Rachel meant to imply that. She was merely asking whether all three verbs could take both the "to" infinitive or the "-ing" infinitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think Rachel meant to imply that. She was merely asking whether all three verbs could take both the "to" infinitive or the "-ing" infinitive.

If that's the case, the following question is misleading ...

Can "like," "love," and "hate" be used without any change in meaning?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There is indeed a difference in meaning between the -ing forms and the to-infinitive forms.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course. We're showing her that the question she asked is not the question she wanted answered. We've answered both what she did and didn't ask.

To get the right answer, ask the right question!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is indeed a difference in meaning between the -ing forms and the to-infinitive forms.
In those examples, I don't see the choice of verb form altering her pre-sleep activities.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Rachel, I'm quite certain that your English is of a high enough standard that you know that "like/love" and "hate" don't mean the same thing! I can understand learners sometimes getting confused between "like" and "love" but I'm genuinely surprised that you thought "hate" means the same.

Sorry, if my question was not clear I was wondering if all three verbs can take either "to" or "ing" without any change in meaning.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

A sense of duration is one difference, as GoesStation stated. What are other differences in meaning in my sentences?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In those examples, I don't see the choice of verb form altering her pre-sleep activities.

Yes, that's right. The pre-sleep activity is identical in both cases. We have to be very careful to specify what we mean by 'meaning', which is a tremendously complicated and difficult thing to understand. I've noticed that forum members have quite different ideas about this. Subtle differences in what we generally call meaning can sometimes be explained with notions such as 'emphasis' 'focus', and 'modality' to name just three.

So whether a change of the verb form effects a change in meaning depends on what kind of meaning you're talking about. I'll take one of Rachel's examples and try to show in a simple way how the difference in form is significant.

I like listening to music before sleeping. = I'm talking about an activity that I enjoy.

I like to listen to music before sleeping. = I'm talking about how I prefer to organise my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.