Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi. Is it okay and natural to say "My phone is running low on battery"?

I don't see any need for on battery.

I don't see any need for on battery.

Nevertheless this construction is commonly heard. e.g.

We are running low on beer.
The car is running low on gas.
Etc.

Where I live we are likely to say "My phone is running low on juice."

How about "Please put my phone to charging"? It doesn't sound very natural to me.

It's not natural. "Please charge my phone" or "Please put my phone on/onto charge" work in BrE. Of course, they only work if for some reason you're asking someone else to take your phone and plug it in to charge. Most of us would just do it ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not natural. "Please charge my phone" or "Please put my phone on/onto charge" work in BrE. Of course, they only work if for some reason you're asking someone else to take your phone and plug it in to charge. Most of us would just do it ourselves.

So it's only just "charge" instead of "charging", yes?

Yes.

Please respond to my question on your other thread regarding your stated location (Pakistan) not being the same as your IP location (China). Where are you?

Yes.

Please respond to my question on your other thread regarding your stated location (Pakistan) not being the same as your IP location (China). Where are you?

Have already.

Have already.

My guess is that Little Girl is near the border, where there is now lots of activity on the new road that will connect Beijing to the sea via Pakistan.

Hi. Is it okay and natural to say "My phone is running low on battery"?

Yes, it sounds very natural to me. However, it's not what I would teach people to say.

You could also say:

My phone's running out of charge.

How about "Please put my phone to charging"? It doesn't sound very natural to me.

That's a completely different sentence. No, it's not correct or natural.

You could say:

My phone is running out of power.

Also, say:

Please put my phone on charge.

Or:

Please put my phone on the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back