Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There’s a haunting line by Kabir, the mysterious fifteenth-century Indian poet, a kind of mystical Mother Goose: “They squander their birth in isms.” He’s thinking of the few major religious traditions of his day, but the idea applies even more poignantly to our collection of religions, political affiliations, spiritualities, identities fabricated by marketers, and even theories constructed in philosophy departments. (From The Deepest Human Life by Scott Samuelson)

What does the underlined part mean?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There’s a haunting line by Kabir, the mysterious fifteenth-century Indian poet, a kind of mystical Mother Goose: “They squander their birth in isms.” He’s thinking of the few major religious traditions of his day, but the idea applies even more poignantly to our collection of religions, political affiliations, spiritualities, identities fabricated by marketers, and even theories constructed in philosophy departments. (From The Deepest Human Life by Scott Samuelson)

What does the underlined part mean?
I think you can answer the first part yourself. Do you know who Mother Goose is? If you don't, look her up. What would a spiritual Mother Goose be?

For the second part: What is an ism? Have you looked that up? What would it mean to squander your youth in communism, capitalism, Confuscianism, athleticism, atheism, or any other ism?

Does it make sense now?

James Bonde

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I think you can answer this yourself. Do you know who Mother Goose is? If you don't, look her up.

Now: What would a spiritual Mother Goose be?

I am not sure "Mother Goose" here means "nursery rhymes" or "the author of nursey rhymes".

Does that mean Kabir is " a type of mystical Mother Goose"?

James Bonde

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Does "they squander their birth in isms" mean "squander their lives in beliefs"?

Why does the author use "birth" not "lives"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not sure whether "Mother Goose" here means "nursery rhymes" or "the author of nursey rhymes".

Yes, they are rhymes that teach lessons.

Does that mean Kabir is " a type of mystical Mother Goose"?

Yes, exactly.
On we go!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "they squander their birth in isms" mean "squander their lives in beliefs"?

Yes, I think so. Birth is used in the sense of existence. They squander their existence. They squander the fact that they were born.

Why does the author use "birth" not "lives"?

Maybe he feels it's more dramatic.
You're doing fine.

James Bonde

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you so much.