Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John wants to clean the shelf on which his mother's vase stands. He takes the vase off the shelf, but it slips out of his hands, falls on the floor and breaks. He immediately decides to clean up the pieces of broken vase and then go to the store and buy a new identical one so his mother won't find out about what happened. So John starts sweeping. Peter calls him when he's in the middle of it and says to him: "Hi, John! I'm going to the movies. Would you like to come with me?" John replies to him with the following:

1. Hi, Peter! I've accidentally dropped my mother's vase, and it has broken. I need to clean up the pieces of broken glass and then get an identical one before my mother gets home. I don't want her to find out about it because she'll get upset. I don't have much time right now, so I'll call you later. Bye!

John wants to clean the shelf on which his mother's vase stands. He takes the vase off the shelf, but it slips out of his hands, falls on the floor and breaks. John reconciles himself to the fact that when his mother gets home she'll get upset when she finds out about what happened to her vase. He's going to clean up the pieces of broken vase. Peter calls him and says to him: "Hi, John! I'm going to the movies. Would you like to come with me?" John replies to him with the following:

2. Hi, Peter! I accidentally dropped my mother's vase, and it broke. She'll get upset when she gets home. I'm in a bad mood now, so I don't feel like going to the movies.

In version #1, the events in bold affect John's present (he's going to go to the store and buy a new vase because of what's happened), so he uses the present perfect. In version #2, the events in bold are simply what happened in the past. John isn't in a rush to do anything about it, so he uses the simple past.

Is my understanding correct, and are the tenses in bold correct in the above two scenarios?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm at work so I don't have time for a full reply. All I'll say is that John isn't going to worry about his grammar and he's not going to take the time to say all that. Here's how that conversation would go:

Peter: Want to come to the movies this afternoon?
John: Can't! Just smashed my mum's vase. Gotta sweep up the bits, hide them, then go out and find an identical one. Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh!

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
But still are the tenses grammatical in their respective contexts?

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In British English, the simple past wouldn't be used in my first context because the situation is immediate:

Peter: Want to come to the movies this afternoon?

John: Can't! I accidentally dropped my mother's vase, and it broke. Gotta sweep up the bits, hide them, then go out and find an identical one. Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh.

Am I right?