Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to do grammar exercises using some words I looked up in my dictionary while reading different texts. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Every morning John buckled his satchel on his back and went to school. (buckle)
2. In new models of cars, if you do not buckle your seat belt, a warning signal lights.(buckle)
3. A heavyset man walked towards me, brandishing a bat, and my knees buckled. (buckle)
4. Peter has seen his colleagues buckle under work pressure, but he somehow managed to remain unaffected. (buckle)
5. After a traffic accident, Anna had a difficulty to retain information. (retain)
6. David was under a delusion that he was one of the greatest painters of the 21th century. (delusion)
7. A demand for new pop songs seems to be insatiable. (demand)
8. Bob could not imagine starting his morning without his rituals: strong coffee, cigarette and the morning paper. (rituals)
9. After a great success, J.D. Salinger slipped into obscurity. (obscurity)
10.Anna married four times. Her all husbands died during her marriage. Her fifth husband died of heart attack when she told him the fate of the previous four. (heart attack)

Last edited:
Please edit your thread and add, in brackets at the end of each sentence, the word(s) you looked up in each case. Alternatively, you could underline the relevant word(s) in each sentence.

Isn't a satchel something you carry? Anyhow, the first one doesn't work for me.

Sentences two and three are fine.

For sentence four, say:

Peter has seen his work colleagues buckle under pressure, but he has somehow remained unaffected.

For five, say:

After a traffic accident, Anna had difficulty retaining information.

Tarheel,
You can carry a satchel or strap it on your back.

For six, say:

David was under a delusion...of the 21st century.

For seven, say:

The demand for new pop songs seems to be insatiable.

For eight, say:

Bob could not imagine starting his morning without his rituals: strong coffee, a cigarette, and the morning paper.

I don't think nine works. Salinger became a recluse, but he wasn't obscure. He was well known.

As for ten, say:

Anna married five times. All of her husbands died while they were married to her. Her fifth husband died of a heart attack....

Thank you Tarheel,
Regarding my ninth sentence,, first now I understand that I needed "recluse"in that sentence. "Obscure" means difficult to understand. I think I could say: "Some poems of Ezra Pound were obscure."

I would say "obtuse" instead of "obscure" there. (Somebody once said of my poems that they are easy. I think she meant easy to read.)

There is a deli that recently opened near me. I wonder if they have espresso.

I have tried to do grammar exercises using some words I looked up in my dictionary while reading different texts. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Every morning​, John [STRIKE]buckled his satchel[/STRIKE] put his backpack on [STRIKE]his back[/STRIKE] and went to school. (buckle) or "Every morning, John picked up his satchel and went to school.
(I can't think of any type of bag that you buckle onto your body.)

2. In new models of cars, if you do not buckle your seat belt, a warning signal lights.(buckle)
In new cars, if you don't buckle your seatbelt, a warning light comes on.

3. A heavyset man walked towards me, brandishing a bat, and my knees buckled. (buckle) :tick:

4. Peter has seen his colleagues buckle under the pressure of work [STRIKE]pressure[/STRIKE], but he has somehow managed to remain unaffected. (buckle)

5. After a traffic accident, Anna had [strike]a[/strike] difficulty [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] retaining information. (retain) (In case it's not clear, omit the article before "difficulty".)

6. David was labouring under [STRIKE]a delusion[/STRIKE] the illusion that he was one of the greatest painters of the 21st century. (delusion)

7. [STRIKE]A[/STRIKE] The (or no article) demand for new pop songs seems to be insatiable. (demand)

8. Bob could not imagine starting his morning without his rituals: a strong coffee, a cigarette and the morning paper. (rituals)

9. After [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] great success, J.D. Salinger slipped into obscurity. (obscurity) (In case it's not clear, omit the article.)

10. Anna married four times. All her [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] husbands died during [STRIKE]her[/STRIKE] the/their marriage. Her fifth husband died of a heart attack when she told him of/about the fate of the previous four. (heart attack)

See above.

Last edited:
With regard to #6, I failed to notice that "delusion" was the word you were trying to use.

David was suffering from the delusion that he was one of the greatest painters of the 21st century.
David deluded himself into believing that he was one of the greatest painters of the 21st century.

Anna must have married five times, or how did she get a fifth husband? (Was her nickname "Black Widow"?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back