Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use the word "low" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Some people argue that behind the idea of mass immigration is not compassion but rather a plan to lower wages for already low-paid jobs.
2. The country is in a great need for low-cost housing, but because of the high taxes, this was a rather unrealistic goal.
3. Bob could not forgive his sister for sinking so low as taking all valuables from their mother's home before the will was read out.
4. The red ball of the sun was low on the horizon when David came to the beach to take his evening bath.
5. Since she had lost her job, Joan was in low spirits.
6. Maria and Phil sat on the bench, reminiscing highs and lows of their marriage.
7. Students low achievements in school can often be linked to their financial circumstances.
8. Michael noticed the red lamp blinking, warning him he was low on petrol. He headed for the nearest petrol station to fill up.
9. Voters confidence in politicians nowadays is at all-time low.
10. Peter was angry at himself when the camera battery went low, and he had forgotten to take a reserve with him.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sentences one through five are fine. For six, I might say:

Maria and Phil sat on the beach reminiscing about the highs and lows of their marriage. And what a long marriage it had been! They had many memories between the two of them.

For seven, perhaps:

Low grades in school can be linked to low incomes later.

For nine, say:

Voters' confidence in politicians is at an all-time low.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not keen on "The country is in a great need for ..." in #2. I might say "The country has a great need for ..." or "There is a great need, in [name of country], for ...".

In sentence #3, use "... stoop so low as to take ...". I think I corrected this in a previous post of yours. Remember that the set phrase is "stoop so low as to + bare infinitive".

In #5, were you using "Since" in place of "Because". If so, it's fine. However, if you meant "Since the time/date that", it should be "Since losing her job, Joan has been in low spirits".

Status
Not open for further replies.