Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
In the following sentences I have tried to use the verb "toss". Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. The family was tossed out of the restaurant because the children repeatedly threw pieces of bread at other guests.
2. Anna had a job interview in the morning and was unable to sleep. She tossed and turned for hours before she fell asleep.
3. While John was watching TV, his wife was tossing pancakes in the kitchen.
4. I sat on a jetty, watching yachts tossing gently under the blue sky.
5. Gina read the letter from his lover, apologising for forgetting to sent her a birthday card. She crushed it in her hand and tossed it into the fire.
6. When the contract was signed, the two CEOs clinked tumblers and tossed off their whisky.
7. A well-known travel writer roaming in the Balkans describes villages where people toss down shots of strong slivovitz as if it were a water.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I like all of your uses of "toss". Apparently, however, you want me to look at other things too.

In the first sentence I would use "patrons" instead of guests.

For number five (5) say:

Gina read the letter from HER lover. In it he apologized for forgetting to send her a birthday card. She crushed it ....

For number seven (7), delete "a" before "water".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the following sentences I have tried to use the verb "toss". Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. The family was [STRIKE]tossed[/STRIKE] thrown out of the restaurant because the children repeatedly threw pieces of bread at other [STRIKE]guests[/STRIKE] diners.
2. Anna had a job interview in the morning and was unable to sleep. She tossed and turned for hours before she fell asleep. :tick:
3. While John was watching TV, his wife was tossing pancakes in the kitchen. :tick:
4. I sat on a jetty, watching yachts tossing gently under the blue sky. :cross: "Tossing gently" really doesn't work. I'd use "rocking/bobbing gently".
5. Gina read the letter from his lover, apologising for forgetting to [STRIKE]sent[/STRIKE] send her a birthday card. She [STRIKE]crushed it[/STRIKE] screwed it up/balled it up in her hand and tossed it into the fire.
6. When the contract was signed, the two CEOs clinked tumblers and tossed off their whisky. :cross: Please don't use "toss off". In BrE, it means "masturbate a man". You can use "tossed back" there.
7. A well-known travel writer roaming in the Balkans describes villages where people toss down shots of strong slivovitz as if it were [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] water. In case it's not clear, delete "a" before "water".

See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English "toss off" does not refer to male masturbation. ("Jerk off" maybe.)

Status
Not open for further replies.