Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the expression "nail the coffin on our indictment of mankind whole", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

Otherpeoples,” I said, to fill the silence, repeating the word we’d tacitly agreed to give them, as though this one word summed up everything we’d felt about everyone else and would nail the coffin on our indictment of mankind whole. We were fellow aliens conspiring to renew our reluctant courtship with Earthlings.

Otherpeoples,” she echoed, still holding the plate, whose contents neither of us had touched yet. She hadn’t offered it to me, and I didn’t dare.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, First Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. It is narrated by a nameless male protagonist. He meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now the protagonist is talking with Clara, calling other people in the party as "otherpeoples". (This seems to be a word they made up, to mean unimportant other people, though this is just my guess. :D)

I wonder what the underlined expression means.
I couldn't find anything about the expression "nail the coffin", so I am at loss as to what that means... o_O

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/nail+in+the+coffin+of

I don't like the mixed metaphor. Indictments don't have coffins. If anything, he's actually saying the opposite of what he means. If the final nail lands on his indictment of mankind, then the indictment is failed or has ceased to be.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
he's actually saying the opposite of what he means
I think he actually wanted another idiom -- put the seal on our indictment of mankind whole.

Last edited:

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@SoothingDave and @Ostap,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So "nail the coffin" is actually the idiom "nail in the coffin of (=to make something cease to exist)", but actually means "put the seal on (=to complete something)"
It means that, the one word "otherpeoples" completed their accusation against the mankind whole.

Indeed, this mixed metaphor is hard to understand... o_O But I think I grasped it all thanks to you.
I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not just "to complete something." If you're nailing the coffin shut, the thing is dead. Dead dead dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.