Native Language
English
Home Country
Ghana
Current Location
Ghana
STUDY PLAN
WRITTEN BY: PRINCE OPOKU APPAU

I am a recent graduate of the University of Mines and Technology – Tarkwa, Ghana. I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Petroleum Engineering (First Class Honours) and with a Cumulative Weighted Average (CWA) of 87.05%. I believe Petroleum Engineering has a very bright future, hence my interest in pursuing graduate studies in the field.

The discoveries of Oil and Gas in commercial quantity in Ghana has opened up new economic opportunities for the country. Unfortunately, it is associated with low local participation due to low technical know-how of locals to contribute immensely to the effective management of the natural resource. Petroleum Engineering, which is pivotal in the Exploration, Drilling and Production of Oil and Gas is one of the less resourced areas, reference human capital areas. The country would therefore need more of such professionals and others to help reap the full benefits of its Oil and Gas find. Current discoveries deep offshore are also associated with more challenging technical issues. These therefore require more knowledgeable and experienced professionals to work together to surmount challenges.

In order to become part of this great fraternity of engineers I devoted much time in studying during my undergraduate level. Aside other extracurricular activities, I had the chance to win many awards including the Best Academic Year Student for three consecutive times starting from second year, Winner of Petrobowl 2016 Quiz Competition, Best Petroleum Engineering Graduating Student and the Overall Best Graduating Student for the 2015/2016 academic year. These awards made me realize that the sky is the limit to what I can accomplish.

I had the opportunity to work as an intern at Ghana National Petroleum Corporation for a month, where I acquired broad knowledge in the day-to-day activities at Ghana’s Jubilee Field and highlighting major challenges and associated remediation. To familiarize myself with the oil and gas industry, I also had the chance to visit many Oil and Gas fields and companies in Nigeria. These experiences motivated me to push to know more about the industry especially in the areas of drilling fluids. I therefore conducted a BSc thesis work to Evaluate the Effects of Monovalent and Divalent Salts on the Properties of Water Based Mud. These experiences fomented my desire to pursue graduate studies in the field of Petroleum Engineering.

My long-term vision is to become a renowned researcher in the field of Petroleum Engineering or end up in academia to impact knowledge into the young generations and also act as a consultant to oil and gas industries. To fulfill this dream, my immediate goal is to obtain a master’s degree in Petroleum Engineering. I believe that, this programme will provide me with the theoretical and practical understanding; and an in-depth knowledge on better drilling, production and management practices.

I would come out a better person who would be of enormous benefit to Ghana and Africa at large if am offered the opportunity to study in the People’s Republic of China. This would be made possible with the resources allocated for this programme of study as I will have the opportunity to study and conduct research work in world-renowned leading research laboratories in China. China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), a world-renowned researching university with great scholars provides the right environment for me to pursue postgraduate studies as I look forward to be taught and study under the guidance of distinguished professors and researchers who are ready to impart knowledge.

After completing my master’s program, I would like to return to Ghana. This degree would enable me to combine a teaching career with advising businesses and government on oil and gas issues. Also I would be in the position and ready to share whatever skills and knowledge I acquire to both my immediate community and Africa at large. I hope with this, most industries would be better off as I consider consulting as part of my future career. I am confident that I have the drive, intellectual competence and requisite skills needed to succeed in your graduate program. Thank you very much for considering my application and hoping to hear a favorable reply from you soon.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I recently graduated from the University of Mines and Technology – Tarkwa, Ghana with a bachelor’s degree in Petroleum Engineering (first-class honours) and with a cumulative weighted average (CWA) of 87.05%. I believe petroleum engineering offers excellent career prospects in my country, hence my interest in pursuing graduate studies in the field.

The discoveries of oil and gas in commercial quantities in Ghana has opened up new economic opportunities for the country. Unfortunately, poor local participation due to the lack of technical know-how of locals has hindered the effective management of these natural resources. Petroleum engineering, which covers the exploration, drilling and production of oil and gas is badly needed in Ghana. The country needs professional petroleum engineers and other technical staff to help develop its oil and gas fields. Current discoveries, deep offshore, are also associated with various challenging technical issues which require technical engineering expertise.

I have won several awards including the Best Academic Year Student, three consecutive times, starting in second year, Petrobowl 2016 Quiz Competition, Best Petroleum Engineering Graduating Student and the Overall Best Graduating Student for the 2015/2016 academic year. These awards made me realize that the sky is the limit to what I can accomplish.

I have had the privilege of working as an intern at Ghana National Petroleum Corporation for a month, where I acquired practical knowledge of operations at Ghana’s Jubilee oilfield and learnt about the major challenges and associated remedial actions. To familiarize myself with the oil and gas industry, I also had the chance to visit many fields and companies in Nigeria. These experiences motivated me to learn more about the industry, especially in the areas of drilling fluids. I, therefore, conducted my major BSc project in this area, and my thesis was entitled Evaluating the Effects of Monovalent and Divalent Salts on the Properties of Water Based Mud.

My long-term vision is to become a renowned researcher in the field of petroleum engineering or work in academia to or as a consultant to the oil and gas industries. To fulfill this dream, my immediate goal is to obtain a master’s degree in petroleum engineering. I believe that your programme will provide me with the theoretical and practical understanding and an in-depth knowledge of state-of-the-art drilling techniques, production and management practices.

If am offered the opportunity to study in the People’s Republic of China, I would become a highly qualified professional who would be of enormous benefit to Ghana and Africa. I will have the opportunity to study and conduct research work in world-renowned leading research laboratories in China University of Geosciences -Wuhan, and work with great scholars under the guidance of distinguished professors and researchers. After completing my master’s program, I would return to Ghana.

This degree would enable me to combine a teaching career with working as a consultant for businesses and government on oil and gas issues. I am confident that I have the drive, intellectual competence and requisite skills needed to succeed in your graduate program.

Thank you very much for considering my application, and I hope to receive a favourable reply from you soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.