Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is the pronunciation of 'to' as [FONT=&quot]/tu/ or [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]strong form[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/tuː/ uncommon in spoken English? The transcription for 'to' in English File is [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/ə/ not [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/tuː/ or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/tu/ in 'Nice to meet you.'
Is the schwa usually not clearly heard as well as not being stressed?[/FONT]

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, if there is no reason to stress it (as, for example, "I was driving to school, not from school".)

In most dialects it is fairly clearly heard.

In 'nice to meet you', the 'to' is not clearly heard. At least in the audio which I listened to.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In 'nice to meet you', the 'to' is not clearly heard. At least in the audio which I listened to.

If you can, please provide a link to that audio. At least the "t" should be audible even if the "o" vanishes.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you can, please provide a link to that audio. At least the "t" should be audible even if the "o" vanishes.

I will. Yes, the 't' is definitely audible. That's why I asked if it's wrong to say that the schwa is usually neither stressed nor clearly heard.

I coudn't download the audio but I found another audio on youtube. But here it's pronounced as 'tu'. At least that's how I hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMGj60E6AV0 At 3:54 If I am right, then it's pronounced either as or tu or even as tu: if stressed for some reason.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I coudn't download the audio but I found another audio on youtube. But here it's pronounced as 'tu'. At least that's how I hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMGj60E6AV0 At 3:54 If I am right, then it's pronounced either as or tu or even as tu: if stressed for some reason.
That's a clear example of the schwa pronunciation in unstressed to. The vowel is also very short when it's not stressed.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When you said "the to is not clearly heard", I thought you meant that no part of the word was audible.
No, I meant only the schwa. Maybe I don't hear it well as a non-native speaker. Is it clearly heard?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's heard. It's pretty much impossible to make a "T" sound followed by "M" without some sort of vowel-like utterance in between.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I meant only the schwa. Maybe I don't hear it well as a non-native speaker. Is it clearly heard?
Russian has many consonant clusters that don't exist in English. I don't think /tm/ is one of them, but /dm/ certainly exists. It's quite possible the Russophone ear is tuned to ignore the schwa in /tm/ which the Anglophone one hears clearly.

When Anglophones say "Dmitri", they tend to interpose a syllable between the /d/ and the /m/.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When Anglophones say "Dmitri", they tend to interpose a syllable between the /d/ and the /m/.

To the point that when we write "Dmitri" in English, we tend to spell it "Dimitri".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, it's heard. It's pretty much impossible to make a "T" sound followed by "M" without some sort of vowel-like utterance in between.
I hear it too but it's not (the pronunciation) very clear to me without the stress and the strong form tu:.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
That's the nature of the besat. The schwa sound in English is (almost) always unstressed and always less clearly defined than the vowel it replaces,
Then my ears aren't that deaf to English sounds. It's heard but it's not very clear. So I was right.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's the nature of the besat. The schwa sound in English is (almost) always unstressed and always less clearly defined than the vowel it replaces,

That's sort of the point of the schwa. It's the noise we make when we don't need or want to make the proper vowel sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.