Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In my country (and probably in most of the countries), in summer nomads travel to cooler areas and in winter they move to warmer places. We have two different words for these two places (cool and warm areas). Are there any words for them in English?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my country (and probably in most of the countries), in summer nomads travel to cooler areas and in winter they move to warmer places. We have two different words for these two places (cool and warm areas). Are there any words for them in English?
Though there are certainly people in the US who travel quite a bit, there are no recognized groups as such. Retired people in the north will travel south to escape the cold winters (they are called snowbirds - like the birds which fly south every year). I can't think of any one term which would describe the areas people travel to throughout the year. In the US people travel south to get to a warmer area and north to get to a colder area.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In most uses, the word "nomads" implies people who have no fixed residence. I certainly would not describe the people in the US who travel for climate-related reasons as nomads.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Grey nomads" is a very common term in AusE for retired couples who blow their superannuation cheque on a well-appointed caravan (trailer), and travel wherever they list (often with several meanings) to explore Australia.
http://thegreynomads.com.au/

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We have the phrase in search of warmer climes, for going somewhere to find better weather, but it usually applies in the UK to going to other countries as there isn't that much difference between the ends of the country. We don't use the opposite much- it probably isn't hot enough. We don't have much in the way of nomads.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, we have "travellers" - groups of people who were once known as gypsies (there are several other, derogatory, terms for them too). They usually travel in convoys of caravans and motor homes and settle briefly in any area that takes their fancy. Sometimes they choose an official "traveller site" but sometimes they park on private land or common ground, stay for a few weeks and then move on (or are moved on by the council and the police).

Their moving around has nothing to do with climate as far as I know. They simply don't like being tied to just one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.